A matter of conscience... QUAILS concerning

• 9 Replies

Neelam

A matter of conscience... QUAILS concerning
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:15 »
A matter of conscience...
... I am really wondering how a single Japanese quail will feel among budgies (or grass parakeets or how ever you might call them in English). I've been at a pet shop today with my kids as they have about 10 huge isles with fish tanks and kind of an indoor playground with cafe. As it was the first time that I have noticed that they sell other pets, too, we went to have a look and first thing that hit me was the bad smell of the birds and rabbits and eventually the reptiles as well (if they smell, too). However, there was one hyper nervous quail in the budgies cage, running back and forth non stop and I assume (I have not really an idea about them, just assume it is the case), to the poor quail all this birds sitting on their perches, flapping around must be like a huge never ending threat?

Or are quails that nervous???

However, I cannot stop thinking of it and I wonder, if I not should go and buy it (even my husband might kill me for that, after already telling him for one year that there is no way to stop me from having my chickens). But if, WHAT would I need for it?
Could I grain the ordinary chicken food for them to a chick crumbs size? Will this do? And what cage? I have a quarantine cage for my rabbits that is free but maybe too small, it's only approx1.5' x 3' and about 2' height.

And than I read in the "Backyard Chickens..." book that they are best to be kept with a cock but I am afraid, I don't think the neighbours will appreciate that even at the farest corner of the garden is still too close.

What would you do? I don't know. I really feel guilty and responsible towards the bird now that I've seen it.

I called the RSPCA to get some advice but they haven't been a help at all  :(

Thanks!
Neelam
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:30 by Neelam »

Sassy

Re: A matter of conscience... QUAILS concerning
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 15:57 »
Not suprised re lack of help from RSPCA! :mad: >:(

Quail will live happily, if fed, in the bottom of an aviary with other birds. I, personally would never keep one on its own. The behaviour you describe would strongly suggest the bird is very stressed :mad:, probably through lack of its own kind ie other quails. They do tend to be quite flighty.

Quails can be kept to eat or for their eggs which are considered a delicacy. They are easy to keep as long as you take their specific needs into account.

I kept them very successfully and enjoyed them and they were very productive re eggs.

They do not usually mix with other poultry. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RubyR3d

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 16:01 »
Just googled this for you and it says under no circumstances keep them together. To be honest living with budgies which are a lot smaller seems a breeze rather than being the smallest in a group of bullying hens that are lots bigger and you're on your own. It may not survive the attacks. Why not email or phone the company telling them your concerns about how the shop is keeping them. Do the animals and birds have clean food and water.

Neelam

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 19:48 »
Just googled this for you and it says under no circumstances keep them together. To be honest living with budgies which are a lot smaller seems a breeze rather than being the smallest in a group of bullying hens that are lots bigger and you're on your own. It may not survive the attacks. Why not email or phone the company telling them your concerns about how the shop is keeping them. Do the animals and birds have clean food and water.

I didn't intend to keep them among the other poultry, I would have kept them on the second level of my rabbit shed, means, can put in a second level, rabbit free.

I've been there again today to have a second look on the conditions and to see, if I find at least a second one to have them together from the beginning. Finally I found one (Chinese painted) among the Finches but looked injured like got his head pecked so I felt uncertain for not having any experience with them.

They have clean food so far, though the cages themselves do not look very clean, very smelly even the birds. For the water I am not sure, to be honest, I saw loads of food containers among the budgies but cannot remember having seen more than one small water container for about 20 birds and hanging, not on the bottom.

Yes, that's an idea to send an email to them, although, on FB I've asked the same among poultry keepers and one lady seems to come from my area as she asked straight away if this is Bolton as she has experienced something very similar in a pet shop here and the way she described the fish tanks it fits 100% to the one I've been in. So she wrote that she has contacted RSPCA after she had been in and nothing changed. They told her, they will check on...

About the feed, there is no different feed with the quail in their cage, only the budgies feed. But reading about their needs I wonder if this wouldn't be too low in energy and every supplements they need as mostly I read that turkey food is better than chicken crumbs?

Thanks again!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 20:58 »
Quail are very nervous birds and hit the roof if at all frightened, i think a low roofed cage will not be good for them.

Neelam

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 22:12 »
What height would you recommend?
I certainly could, but then a max depth of 1.5 - 2ft, change the setup for both parties and seperate them in the depth instead of height. Then they had approx. 6ft height and could even have 6ft in length, but small.

Not to get scared of our giants I can keep the bottom part boarded so no sight if the rabbits do not stand up to peep in.

What do you think? Would this be ok?

Followup:
I've reported them  now to both, Council and RSPCA. I tried to find out about the second quail I've found yesterday why they are kept separate and was told to call back in about half an hour, the lady responsible for the birds haven't arrived yet... Ever since, the shop must be very busy as nobody bothers answering the phone. Unfortunately, my little daughter isn't well and throwing up all the time so I cannot go now.

First I thought, I'll never return to the shop but seriously thinking it wouold be the wrong thing to do. I have to pass by at least once a week anyway as it is on the way to town center for me and this way I will pop in sometimes and check on the conditions and will keep reporting if there is no change to the better...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:30 by Neelam »

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:33 »
My quail did very well on chick crumb with NO ACS - very important. The head height is vital as quail go straight up when spooked. Even though I had well over the recommended minimum head height I still lost one quail with a broken neck and could only think that was the way it happened, on the roof.

Try Googling quail and although some things are contradictory you should get a feel for the right way to keep them. I think the minimum cage sizes are on the DEFRA website, however I would NEVER keep them in the minimum size.
I think you would need a minimum head height of 30/36".

It is possible that the pet shop feel that quail can live off the seed the other birds drop. This is a popular myth and the result are starved to death quail!!!

I really wish pet shops would NOT sell birds/animals they rarely have the expertise, let alone the will to care for them properly. It is not like selling cans of beans! :mad:

splash101

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 20:48 »
I have an aviary with various birds and also kept quail with them.
It is quite the normal thing to do amongst bird keepers because they eat all the spilt seed that the other birds kickout.
 Mine also had access to grit, oystershell, egg food (for extra protein), fresh fruit and veg and quail pellets. They tend to ignore the quail pellets and eat everything else. I have kept quail for years and they certainly dont starve to death. It is by their own preference that they dont eat the pellets.
Quails are quite smelly, more so than the aviary birds.
They do pace up and down alot and run around a lot, they are always on the go.
Some people keep them in rabbit hutch/runs. Mine were in a 36 foot long aviary, 7 feet high.
Whilst they can fly upwards to quite a height, I find it is only the young ones that do so.
I would never keep one bird of any kind on its own.
Male quails crow. You do not need a male quail unless you intend on breeding
Quails, like chickens, are not adverse to a bit of fresh meat / blood. Last year I lost several fledglings that the quail ate, which is why i no longer keep them.
They will also, like chickens, turn on each other and peck away at them if one is injured or weak.
Quails (females) will often have bald patches at the back of the neck and head. This is usually due to the male being over amorous. If there are males with bald patches, injuries, its probably due to them fighting with other males. Females will also fight amongst themselves if there is a particularly dominant hen. They can be quite evil.

Pet Shops  :mellow: This is how they work, if you buy it / them, they will get more in to sell. I do also wonder if they prey on customers that will feel sorry for the weak, feeble animals kept in unpleasant conditions. They are a business after all and it is their job to make a profit. Pet shops are not animal rehoming charities.  :( and i feel that they will always put profits before care.

Neelam

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 13:30 »
You are so right with what you said about the pet shops @splash 101.

I think all through my life I have seen only one tiny-wheeny pet shop who's owner loved his pets so much, that it always gave him kind of wet eyes when he sold one to me and every time I came to get food, he asked how everything is, the pet's fine and so on. But he was without staff, only him and his wife.

Often I thought in those times, I want to own a pet shop, too, when I am grown up. Well, I think the sad thing is today, that customers as well as pet shop owners are interested in the money, not really in the welfare (at least not while the pet is still in the shop). If you sell pets out of "love" you will end up with a loss as you cannot be competitive or you really got to have THE IDEA how to get customers.

However. I couldn't buy them. I was told they are both not for sale at the moment and than they are both males, too. I hope, RSPCA at least pays them a visit.

Thanks to everyone!

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 15:58 »
. I have kept quail for years and they certainly dont starve to death.

My reference to them starving to death in an aviary refers only to the myth that they will live off what the other birds in the aviary drop. This is not the case and if kept like this they can and do starve to death. Splash101 you are a responsible owner and fed yours correctly. :)

xx
Does anyone have Quails?

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 09:24
by muntjac
xx
anyone know anything about quails?

Started by sunshineband on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 16:29
by poppies
xx
quails?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 21:47
by chickenlady
xx
Quails

Started by stu_wat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:41
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.