A mountain of ??? compost?

• 19 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 22:52 »
Managed a couple of trips, but with my out of shape body couldn't do any more  :(  Will do another 2 tomorrow - and someone better NOT touch it. There's still plenty though, so that'd be majorly out of order to steal from me.......

Funny how one gets territorial with gardening,  :lol:  :lol:
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Now you know how the squirrel feels ...  :wink:

Spinning Fishwife

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 11:15 »
Get a big bit of chicken wire or something and make a "lid" for your barrow. This sieves the worst of the lumps etc out as you shovel the stuff in as long as it's reasonably dry, which it looks to be. Dump the lumps over to one side before you trek down to your plot....no point in barrowing lumps!

Our council dumps the most amazing piles of leaves or semi-composted rough stuff in our allotment carpark from time to time. (By arrangement, I should add.) Some of it is tough old stuff and only useful for making paths, but the half rotted under layers of the leaf piles make wonderful mulch. I plaster a four inch layer of leaves on my raised beds in autumn, cover it with old newspapers held down with netting and leave it till spring, then remove what's left of the newspaper. Underneath is always lovely soft and crumbly, and can either be forked gently into the top layer or young plants put straight in to the under layers.

jacnal

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 11:45 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "jacnal"
Now you know how the squirrel feels ...  :wink:

The squirrel takes advantage of all the hard work I've done, and stores in my garden! It just has to move elsewhere, or DIE  :twisted:

jacnal

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 11:49 »
Quote from: "Spinning Fishwife"
Get a big bit of chicken wire or something and make a "lid" for your barrow. This sieves the worst of the lumps etc out as you shovel the stuff in as long as it's reasonably dry, which it looks to be. Dump the lumps over to one side before you trek down to your plot....no point in barrowing lumps!

Our council dumps the most amazing piles of leaves or semi-composted rough stuff in our allotment carpark from time to time. (By arrangement, I should add.) Some of it is tough old stuff and only useful for making paths, but the half rotted under layers of the leaf piles make wonderful mulch. I plaster a four inch layer of leaves on my raised beds in autumn, cover it with old newspapers held down with netting and leave it till spring, then remove what's left of the newspaper. Underneath is always lovely soft and crumbly, and can either be forked gently into the top layer or young plants put straight in to the under layers.

Raised beds.... my other big project for 2008/2009, along with chicken shed and run!!

xx
mountain ash trees.

Started by pipes on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 17:58
by Paul Plots
xx
Rat in compost bin

Started by Sid on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 16:37
by elibump
xx
Compost

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 20:10
by Annie
clip
Compost

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2021, 19:00
by New shoot

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.