Cosmos .... love them!

• 13 Replies

Thrift

Cosmos .... love them!
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:03 »
I grew Cosmos for the first time this year and initially thought 'never again'. They were so tall, all foliage and no flowers!

Now however, they have truly blossomed. They're lovely, all feathery foliage and masses of flowers that last for ages. Magenta and and white swaying in the breeze.  :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cosmos .... love them!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:37 »
They are pretty  ;)

In my garden they grow tall where the soil is good, but where it's stoney they are shorter, and IMO much better............so guess where they are going next year  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:04 »
I agree; fantastic looking foliage, great flowers and so easy to grow (sown singly straight into the ground.)

Last year I grew them in an arc shape and had the devils own job trying to stop them blowing over, so this year I grew them in two clumps which are much easier to support.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:34 »
I grew them for the first time this year too as part of my concerted drive to inject lots of colour into the garden. :) Vibrant pink, long-lasting blooms, but the actual plants took up quite a bit more space than I anticipated,  :wub: so next time I'll plant them somewhere different!

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:52 »
I grow them as well :)

I grow as cutting flowers in the veg garden and always give the a least 2ft either side of the row.

I really like them, just wish i could get them to flower a bit earlier.  As you say they are lovely now but i want them July -August but i still sow them every year ::)

I grew the yellow and orange sort one year, dont bother with them , they are useless :(

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:13 by Spana »

Thrift

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:11 »
I grow them as well :)

I grow as cutting flowers in the veg garden and always give the a least 2ft either side of the row.

I really like them, just wish i could get them to flower a bit earlier.  As you say they are lovely now but i want them July -August but i still sow them every year ::)

I grow the yellow and orange sort one year, dont bother with them , they are useless :(

Actually I'm quite pleased they're late as they give some much needed prettiness when most flowers are over; although the snaps are still battling on.  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:31 »
Mine too (snaps)! When are they going to give in?  :unsure:

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 20:30 »
I adore cosmos - I've been growing them for the last three years, but you're right, they do get a tad on the large side, but I do like the fact that they're late flowering and they're so pretty in a jug on the kitchen table - 'a must grow' forever! Jude

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 20:54 »
I had the prettiest potato patch on our site - from the self-seeded Cosmos grown the previous year!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Thrift

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51 »
 :D :D Lovely

Thrift

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53 »
I adore cosmos - I've been growing them for the last three years, but you're right, they do get a tad on the large side, but I do like the fact that they're late flowering and they're so pretty in a jug on the kitchen table - 'a must grow' forever! Jude

Hi Jude, so glad you love your Cosmos too. By the way, I'm originally from Warwickshire  :)

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24 »
Three years ago I grew masses of a pink variety and they were fabulous, an absolute revelation, so did the same the last year.  Nothing! :ohmy:This year I grew small yellow ones and they were great.  I clumped them together and they gave me a lovely display.  I even put two tiny tweeny nearly dead ones between two flags on the patio, watered them once and they flourished and are just about still going. :D

Have bouught another couple of seed packs for next year if you want the details. :D

sion01

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 17:59 »
Also tryed them for the first time this year and loved them I grew three diffrent kinds and my favourite was a white one called 'purity'.Great flower and they have been flowering for 2 months and are still going.What more can you ask for

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 23:22 »
I always grow a load from seed of Cosmos Sonata mix which I plant up around my shed in various tubs and containers  :)

xx
Cosmos heading towards the cosmos!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2024, 15:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
Cosmos

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 20:31
by Trillium
xx
Cosmos

Started by Pauly1958 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2019, 19:12
by Pauly1958
xx
Cosmos

Started by spottymint on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 16:50
by shedsue

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 41 queries.