Absolutely furious - what would you do ?

• 23 Replies

evie2

Re: Absolutely furious - what would you do ?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 15:23 »
Many years ago I had a company in to erect a fence, having also bought the panels and posts from them, cost about £400. 

They started on a day I was at home but finished on a day I was at uni.  Anyway, standing there admiring our new fence, I counted the panels, there were 3 less than I'd paid for and there were no cut panels left around.

Long story short, I called him back, gave him the option of giving me my 3 panels, providing me with the offcuts, reimbursing the over payment or  reporting the theft to the police.

He refunded £50.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 18:30 »
Well done evie2.... good action and result!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:43 »
thanks very much for all your supportive comments and helpful advice. :)

I didn't get a wriiten quote for the job unfortunately, this must be one of the few times a haven't done so and I will insist upon it everytime in future. I am going to speak to the CAB, and my insurance does cover legal disputes but only where a written agreement exists.

The main problem for me is deciding what alternative plan to take to recreate a privacy screen at the required height and provide support for the rose. I am the kind of gardener who mulls over my plans for the garden over time rather than making a quick decision and getting on with it.

I want to resolve this issue with the tree surgeon promptly but I don't know the cost of what I might end up doing with that corner of the garden. A work colleague who's views I value suggested that I pay half the money over now ( £300), but with a covering letter stating that i am still considering my options and that I may end up taking legal action.

evie2

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 10:48 »
Good idea, CAB should be able to point you in the right direction.  Hope it all gets sorted out amicably.  A lesson there for us all I think :)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09 »
I have spoken to CAB and Consumer Direct ( a government advisory agency )

They have advised me of my rights and the trader's obligations, they consider halving the bill to £300 as a reasonable offer, and they directed me to their website which has letter templates for various types of concumer complaints.

I shall send the tree surgeon a letter stating the situation and the advice I have received. I will await his response to my offer of £300 payment to settle the matter.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for all advice and support.

Goosegirl

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 17:58 »
With regard to your rambler rose, if pretty-well established, they can be cut right down and flourish for it. If new, cross your fingers - but I agree with the others - broken contract - no excuse - small claims court - a faff I know, but who else could it happen to??
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 20:32 »
I have spoken to CAB and Consumer Direct ( a government advisory agency )

They have advised me of my rights and the trader's obligations, they consider halving the bill to £300 as a reasonable offer, and they directed me to their website which has letter templates for various types of concumer complaints.

I shall send the tree surgeon a letter stating the situation and the advice I have received. I will await his response to my offer of £300 payment to settle the matter.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for all advice and support.

We'll wait patiently wishing you the best of luck for a quick and amicable settlement  ;)

Ruby Red

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:00 »
We recently had a huge Horse Chestnut tree chopped down . It was in a corner of the garden with a greenhouse one side and the hen coop and run the other. We wanted a proper job and wary of some who tarmac your drive at the same time we phoned the council and asked them who they use. We were given the name of a chap who was wonderful. Though on first appearance a bit "hmm" (he had dreadlocks and on the hippy side) he said no problem to where it was and in 6 hours he had carefully removed and lowered every branch and bough and continued to remove the stump. He swept up and chopped logs to suitable length for our burner. He charged 400 quid and it was a bargain.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

evie2

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 16:52 »
That was good Ruby :D

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 36 queries.