reluctant rosemary

• 4 Replies

catllar

reluctant rosemary
« on: May 05, 2009, 14:06 »
About 6 years ago  I planted some prostrate rosemary in a gravel bed. They grew like triffids and have been glorious. This spring they  flowered their socks off as usual, but then started to drop their needles, preceeded by the growing tips going all limp. I have pruned out all the dead stuff but fear the worst  as today I can see further signs of wilt. There are no signs of insect damage. Have they just reached their sell-by date or is there hope? :wacko:

Trillium

Re: reluctant rosemary
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 15:14 »
As far as I know there's no shelf life for rosemary, but then, nothing lives forever. Possible sources of problems could be that you've had a lot of rain or the plant has been splashed with water often or you live in a high humidity area. These are death to rosemary which is almost a desert plant in its water needs. Nor can it tolerate traffic over it (cats, dogs, etc). Rosemary does need yearly pruning so perhaps if you trim it back more to just beyond the 'dying' areas it might help. If possible, try to put sand around the plant base to keep the upper part dry. If it keeps dying back, then take cuttings from any good parts.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artrosemary.html

catllar

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 16:39 »
thanks for that, I'll prune harder. I guess it could be too much water as we have  had a very wet and long winter here (south of France) When is a good time to take cuttings?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 20:18 »
Mine has curled up its toes as well.  But generally they only do 3/4 years and then they need replacing.   Ours was under matting in a gravel bed, I think it got water logged and drowned. Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 20:56 »
Rosemary cuttings are best taken in fall, but you could try some now and see what happens. But keep the cuttings in a shaded area so they're not too stressed as they set roots in their pots.

Best thing for rosemary is to plant it in a mound so that you get water runoff and the roots won't get soggy. Lots of sand incorporated into soil helps a lot too.

xx
Rosemary

Started by Annie on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 21:36
by gobs
xx
Rosemary

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 10:57
by mrs bouquet
xx
Rosemary seeds

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 20:00
by adri
xx
planting a Rosemary in a container

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2021, 12:05
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 37 queries.