Hessian for container planting

• 9 Replies

mrs bouquet

Hessian for container planting
« on: March 18, 2021, 12:34 »
Thought I might try this in some containers over the holes to stop the soil running out.  Lots of different sorts of google.    Any advice will be appreciated.  Thank you,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hessian for container planting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 20:23 »
I have no experience of this, but wonder whether the hessian underneath the holes would remain fairly wet - risk of rotting, or staining a surface below.

Will be interesting to hear whether those who have experience, have found this to be the case.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:22 »
I have no experience of this, but wonder whether the hessian underneath the holes would remain fairly wet - risk of rotting, or staining a surface below.

Will be interesting to hear whether those who have experience, have found this to be the case.

It will rot but would probably last a season.  I think any natural fibre will rot.  Polypropylene weed cover would do the job over a longer period and I've also used manky old bits of horticultural fleece and that also worked.  Neither look as nice as hessian so burying the edges might be preferable.

Not sure about staining, I'm beyond caring about that so probably wouldn't notice!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:06 »
I want to put it inside the container at the base to cover the holes before a use a crock.  I have got some old buts of fleece knocking around, but I also wonder whether an old net curtain will do the job, just to stop the soil running through the holes.    Somebody said they use a round of greaseproof paper, would that work  :unsure:,   thanks for your answers, anymore ideas welcomed.   Mrs B

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 12:28 »
If the net curtains are polyester they should do the job for a while but in the end the microbes will win.  If the net curtains are never going to be used for anything else then better use them and spend the hessian money on something else!

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 17:46 »
when you say you need to try Hessian to stop the soil running out of your containers are the containers for indoor use or outdoor use?

could you cut a piece of plastic sheeting put that in the bottom of the container then put a layer of pea gravel or smaller gravel at the bottom of the pot on top of the plastic sheet then the soil wouldn't run out just a thought

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:04 »
I’ve used j cloths in the past or for pond baskets I use that cheaper membrane as it’s black as I need it up the side of the basket as well. To be honest although hessian would be more environmentally friendly I think it would rot quite quickly, so it depends if the pots are annual or long lasting plants that you won’t be repotting every year
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 12:09 »
The container is going to stand outdoors, on gravel.  It is going to hold a Fatsia, which I hope never to move again.    Perhaps, some landscaping fabric will do the job.  I just don't want the soil washing out onto the gravel.     Thanks for all your answers.   Mrs B

jezza

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 13:22 »
Hello hessian should be ok,I planted a tree last week that was root balled it has hessian and wire netting thr hessian is supposed to rot after 6 months,once the shrub is well established the compost in the pot should be compacted enough to stop any running out,another thing that I read about was using old face coverings (your own)they dont rot very quick,tea bags also do bit they stain flags    jezza

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 17:24 »
Plastic window screen might work.

With any woven material, there will be a risk of the opposite problem occurring; clogged drainage holes, and potting media that stays saturated, with resulting root rot.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

smiley
Container planting ideas anyone?

Started by arugula on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 19:32
by arugula
xx
planting a Rosemary in a container

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2021, 12:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
When to move container perennials to larger container

Started by Tobiass on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 15:02
by BobE
xx
alpine container

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2024, 12:02
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 49 queries.