Recommended Rose stockists ???

• 9 Replies

Brad26

Recommended Rose stockists ???
« on: March 17, 2021, 15:14 »
Hello,

So there seems to be umpteen stockists of roses online but as a bit of a newbie to all this i have no idea which ones to go for and which ones to avoid.

Having done a bit of searching it seemed to be that David Austin was the way to go but they don't have the breed that i'm after in stock at the moment. from the alternatives there seems to be quite a difference in prices but i don't want to just jump at the cheapest in case they're not a very good quality so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm after 2 new dawn climbing roses, yougarden.com has them for just £14.99 each where as Primrose.co.uk has them for £26.99 so quite a difference amonst many others out there as well.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Recommended Rose stockists ???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 16:17 »
They are cheaper bought as bare-root plants and it's getting a bit late in the season for those.
The ones that are more expensive (like Primrose) are mostly potted plants (not necessarily a good alternative at this time of year, as they'll just have put their stock of bare-root plants into some compost and then the  p&p will higher.
DA have bare root in stock (just looked on-line) didn't check how the price compares by the time you add p&p though.

Brad26

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 16:44 »
Thanks Mumofstig, I decided against getting bare root as apparently they will lag behind the potted plants once planted apparently and the potted ones are a bit more healthy or so i've read anyway. Is it the case that Dave Austin is far and away the best provider?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 16:55 »
Personal taste, to be sure, but I'd honestly prefer a bare-root if I needed to buy a rose right now.
If you were buying in the summer, then potted is obviously the way to go, but we still have early spring conditions and some of my roses are not even at bud-burst stage :( I'm still winter pruning tbh *blush* too cold for me and the roses to be outside, obviously  :lol:
See what others think...

David Austin, Peter Beales and Trevor White are my go-to suppliers (in no particular order)

Brad26

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 17:56 »
Thanks again,

I've only read a few bits online which always a bit of a gamble i guess. You certainly sound like you would have more reliable knowledge on this subject though. Can I ask why you'd prefer a bare root please, you also said about this time of year as well, how would that come into it please? sorry but i'm a newbie to this, all i've done is grown a few carrots and potatoes in my back garden in the past.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 18:18 »
No worries, we all have to advise on our own experience :)
If you buy a pot grown rose now, it will probably just be a bare-root rose potted up in compost just a few days ago. It will not have made much, if any, root growth inside the pot. I bought one like that years ago - I'd paid £s more just for a couple of handfuls of dried compost and a pot  ::)
So IMO if you are buying right now, you might just as well buy a cheaper, bare root one (if you can still find one) with lower postage costs, and plant it yourself where it will grow.
Stock bought later, in summer, will actually have grown roots in the compost, as well as some top-growth, so will successfully transplant at that stage, like any potted plant.
Does that make sense?

Brad26

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 18:46 »
Again thank you,

Yes that does seem to make sense. Yes I’m going to get them now. I’ll be planting them in a pair of planters I made with some trellis to go either side of a window at the front of my house. Watched a David Austin Video on how to plant them in a container. Half John innes no 3 and half multi purpose compost with a little bit of rotted manure as well. I’ll be making it so they just go to the height of the trellis no higher.....so will have to learn how to prune as well. Here is a photo of the planter I’ve made....
9B9C2094-FB8D-48A2-9B29-6F378B242567.jpeg

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 14:51 »
I put an order in to David Austin's for some roses which are bare-rooted ones, so if they're sending them out now they should do ok. I got three different ones in pots from them last year so I could choose which ones I liked best and yes, you are paying for the pot and wood bark as well. I did get a discount for my multi-buy as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 08:45 »
Personal taste, to be sure, but I'd honestly prefer a bare-root if I needed to buy a rose right now.
If you were buying in the summer, then potted is obviously the way to go, but we still have early spring conditions and some of my roses are not even at bud-burst stage :( I'm still winter pruning tbh *blush* too cold for me and the roses to be outside, obviously  :lol:
See what others think...

David Austin, Peter Beales and Trevor White are my go-to suppliers (in no particular order)

I hate to admit it, but you're not on your own with the winter pruning!!

I would agree with your preferred rose suppliers, as I have used some of these in the past and the roses have always grown away well and made beautiful shrubs or climbers as the case may be.

Brad26

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 19:41 »
Well I plumped for the David Austin bare rooted in the end. I’ve planted them in the planters along with that fungi stuff as well. Fingers crossed they grow well !!!

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
recommended books on allotments or Veg

Started by philD on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 21:34
by Eddie Spud
xx
Chinodoxia highly recommended

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 12:55
by sunshineband
xx
Which rose would you not be without?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 08:56
by jaydig

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 47 queries.