Parsnips and Carrots

• 5 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
Parsnips and Carrots
« on: May 02, 2011, 15:24 »
Ok so sowed them straight in the ground over a month and half ago and nothing has shown up. is it best that i start them in seed trays and then transplant them?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Parsnips and Carrots
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 15:29 »
Snips can be awkward to germinate..but carrots are usually easy so this seems strange that they both didn't come up.  Could it be possible you planted too deeply?

Anyway.....carrots and snips don't transplant well being root crops, but you could sow them in paper pots and plant the whole thing out as soon as they show.The root develops very quickly and doing it this way means they wont fork.

You could also chit your snips before planting as its getting quite late
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 15:32 »
I think you'll find there's lots of information about growing both carrots and especially parsnips on the forum. Have a search and see.

Parsnips seem to be on a lot of people’s minds at the moment.

Carrots = I'd stick in another row if it were me or re-sow where you have patches in the existing rows. You'll need to keep them watered if it continues to be dry in order for them to germinate.

Try a little slug bait too (if you are happy to use it) as slugs seem to be great at spotting newly emerging carrot seedlings. Last year they (for the 1st time) gulped down two rows of mine. Now you see them - now you don't!  :ohmy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 15:40 »
i have been going down everyday looking at any sign for them but nothing. i'm normally really good at growing carrots but i usually grow them in container and they did so well. its my first time growing straight in the ground. :( typical.
parsnips never done before, but i am wondering to give up before i start trying. some people down on my allotment have said none of theirs have grown either. i'm only growing them because i love eating them and cant afford to buy them in our shop.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 15:42 »
Have a go. :D  Worth a try at least..fresh snips are absolutely amazing

greentig3r

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 18:46 »
Our carrots are just showing now and we planted them on the 3rd of April. We've been watering a bit more- I think that's made all the difference. We'd almost given up hope though!

xx
Carrots and Parsnips

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:44
by muntjac
xx
Carrots and parsnips

Started by Lisa62 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 13:35
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
Carrots and parsnips

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 10:32
by doubledug
xx
Carrots & Parsnips

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 21:42
by Lulu

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 38 queries.