brassica seedlings dying

• 5 Replies

ben

brassica seedlings dying
« on: April 13, 2009, 18:23 »
Hello,

Apologies for the long post, but I want to give you as much info as possible!

Our allotment is heavy clay soil, and last year germination was poor. I was lucky enough to be given a small 6x4 greenhouse for my birthday, and I decided I would try sowing my seeds in plastic module trays (2 inch wide per module) this year.

Whilst its been cold at night, I've had a paraffin heater on at night. However I did not ventilate the greenhouse aswell, and as a result, I believe the brassica seedlings (swede and cabbage) got mildew due to the high humidity (they were fine at first but then went pale, and then died).
Other seedlings (beetroot, sweetcorn, lettuce) were unaffected - though the compost on some of these has turned green (I guess its mold ?), but don't seem to be affecting the seedlings.

I'm now ventilating the green house properly, and have stopped using the paraffin heater.

My question is : Do you think the mildew will still be in the greenhouse, and affect the new brassica seedlings that are starting to come up now ?

Thanks for any help,
Ben

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: brassica seedlings dying
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 18:44 »
Brassicas do not need heat.

Mine are outside now, that may be the best place for your's as you can now sow them in open ground. This will avoid your mildew problem.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ben

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 18:51 »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I'd assumed (obviously incorrectly !) that the warmer the seedlings are, the better they would get a start in life.

Outside they go then !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 18:57 »
This is not the case as you've found out. Excess heat & humidity for seeds that do not require them can lead to lots of problems. The seed can even rot before it gets the chance to show.

The most head start I would give brassicas is a cold frame or cold greenhouse.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 21:11 »
though the compost on some of these has turned green (I guess its mold ?), but don't seem to be affecting the seedlings.

I get that too. On any pots / trays that I sow seeds in I put a shallow layer of vermiculite that cures that.

For things that grow quickly, and thus I can pot on every couple of weeks, I don't bother (once pricked out) as I just cover the green slim with a bit more compost.

But for things that are slower, and stay in their pots for a longer period (usually flowers / perennials that I am growing from seed) I add a layer of vermiculite.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42 »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I'd assumed (obviously incorrectly !) that the warmer the seedlings are, the better they would get a start in life.

Outside they go then !

and don't worry if you have to sow more as ours came up within ten days, just in the open ground - two types of green cabbage and red cabbage  :D They're tuff stuff IMHO
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
my veg seedlings are dying

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
My seedlings are dying!

Started by Allotment Jack on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 17:41
by Allotment Jack
xx
My seedlings are dying

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 11:27
by Bernard
xx
Help! Where can I buy brassica seedlings?

Started by Oscar Too on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 17:18
by nellie.b

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 38 queries.