Tree bark mulching

• 3 Replies

mrsmarieanne

• New kid on the allotment block!
Tree bark mulching
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:28 »
I'm looking to put down a layer of tree bark around plants that are growing in my allotment. I believe this will help to stop the weeds that are growing at the moment, although I'm a bit confused as to whether I need to use mesh before putting the bark down?

I was hoping to kill of the weeds over Autumn by mulching so that I have a clear plot next year but I'm also unsure of how long it takes the bark to rot?

If I don't need to lay down mesh and I mulch with tree bark is it possible to mix the bark into the soil next year if it hasn't rotted down?

Any answers about the mesh and mixing bark into the soil would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance! :)

snowdrops

Re: Tree bark mulching
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 18:35 »
I think you might mean weed suppressant rather than mesh, that will exclude the light & let water through,but if you want to remove it for growing areas next year it would not be necessary to cover with bark chippings. That is usually only done on paths. It also depends on what weeds you have, if they are perennial you are likely to find they regrow unless left for a long time,maybe over a year. You could cover with cardboard first & or manure, then weed membrane. Have a look at lasagne gardening, that's a no dig approach but not really for perennial weeds.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 13:10 »
Any form of mulching will help to prevent annual weed seeds from germinating next year. If you put it on now, it should pad down over winter to give a good cover, though it won't stop perennial weeds from growing through it, but you can always spray or dig them up. Bark will start rotting down as soon as it is appplied but will take several years to totally decompose. I'd leave it for nature to work it into the soil, and I'd also top it up each year with more bark chips.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 13:49 »
I wouldn't use tree bark mulch on my veg beds, unless it was already well rotted.

It works for  paths, and then when it's rotted and all soft and crumbly it can then be shovelled onto the beds.

You could use cardboard to kill your weeds - either on it's own or under weed control fabric. You can also use weed fabric on its  own. It needs to be weighed down with bricks, stones or poly bottles filled with water or earth/sand.  Whichever you choose you could make planting holes through in Spring.

xx
Fruit tree bark

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 18:58
by Dantheman
clip
Is this normal for plum tree bark?

Started by lcarduk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 11:59
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Bark splitting / peeling on cherry tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2019, 22:45
by samuria
xx
mulching mad !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 14:19
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 40 queries.