Carrot seeds

• 5 Replies

boosmummy

Carrot seeds
« on: February 11, 2012, 16:07 »
I was going to plant my carrots in the next few weeks but someone said not to because they dont like transportation.

I was wondering, I saw something on a tv programme that said plant carrots seeds in toilet rolls  :blink: obviously with compost then they can be planted now and transported later planted straight into the soil and then the cardboard just breaks down, does this sound like a good idea that i could do this week?

xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrot seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 16:22 »
IMO Root veg in general don't tend to do well with transplanting, and I think you're still at least a couple of weeks too early, anyway.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 16:33 »
I assume one carrot per tube. You'd need a heck of a lot for one row.

Wait until April, stick them straight in!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Totty

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 17:42 »
Your right, carrots and parsnips hate being transplanted. By sowing them in toilet rolls now, and planting the tubes out before the root gets to the bottom, you wont be transplanting them as such and planting them in this way is a great tip.  I only tend to do it with parsnips though, as like DD mentions, you will need loads of tubes for a row of carrots.

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 17:50 »
The Autumn King I'm currently harvesting are crackers, they weren't sown until 20th May, so you may like to consider holding off for a while with the "main crop" carrots, but sowing some of an early variety errrrr - earlier.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 18:04 »
Honetly, it sounds like an awful lot of faff, and toilet rolls, and cost of compost, to be harvested not much sooner than the ones sown outdoors later in the year. And if the weather is poor and their roots overshoot the pot before you can plant out, they won't do so well and fork.

To answer your question as to whether it sounds like a good idea, it really depends on your reasoning for doing it? If its because it will satisfy an itch to sow something and get stuck into the growing season, then sure... why not? But if it's to get vastly better or quicker results, then maybe not?
 :mellow:

xx
how do u get carrot seeds

Started by karlooben on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 06:08
by karlooben
xx
Carrot Seeds

Started by Waynestrout on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
pelleted carrot seeds ?

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 06:54
by DD.
xx
Lost carrot seeds....

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 02:59
by jacnal

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.