Asparagus from seed

• 3 Replies

weeeed

Asparagus from seed
« on: September 02, 2007, 18:47 »
Hi all, well I planted the seeds several weeks ago and they are all through in the tray.  The thing now is what where when and why! In other words what do I do now because all the books I've read say plant in april etc. I still haven't got the greenhouse up yet, can I just keep them in the house? Do I need to transplant into individual pots or what? Even my poor old brain cell has left home for this one. Thank's Jan :?  :?  :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Asparagus from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 19:04 »
It's the classic - "If I were you, I wouldn't have started from here"!

I'd transplant them when large enough to handle into individual pots. Problem is indoors they may well get drawn & in any case this is not the time of year they should be growing.

You may well have to try again in spring. 5 years ago I planted 40 seeds in individual cells. These seeds were given to me off a fellow plot holder's plant. Nothing special was done with them, just dried out & seperated, 39 germinated and now I got a cracking aparagus bed for nothing, just a bit of patience.

If you need more seed - PM with your full name & address me & I'll dry out some of the berries on my plants for you.

I dare say our local asparagus expert, Munty, will have something to say on this subject.

DD
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Spon

Asparagus from seed
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 19:53 »
I agree with Digger Dave - put them outside. I would not repot them until next spring and make sure that the pots never dry out.
My plants were grown from the seed from a neighbour's plot and are now over ten years old. The wait for the first couple of years is worth it!

muntjac

Asparagus from seed
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 23:10 »
pot em up into big pots and stick em in a cold frame see if they survive the winter with the first flush of spring and then plant out in first week of may .leave for 2 years top come on ( if they survive ) search sparrowgrass .author muntjac for more tips n tricks  :wink:
still alive /............

xx
Asparagus from seed

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 00:01
by gobs
xx
Asparagus from seed

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:07
by Trillium
xx
Asparagus from seed: what next?

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:03
by barney rubble
xx
asparagus from seed?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 09:04
by Kristen

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.