Toms feeding & stringing

• 4 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Toms feeding & stringing
« on: June 15, 2012, 21:27 »
Hi,

I inherited a grow bag from my neighbour.  In here he had planted 2 toms of different varieties and 2 chillies.

Everything is going great guns and when I took all the side stems off his previously untouched cordons I found that 1 tom plant had allowed a side stem to grow, but it's join was below the soil surface.  I have therefore, left it, staked it and treated it like another tom plant.

So now, in effect I have 3 toms and 2 chillies all in 1 ordinary grow bag.

When out in my green house tonight I noticed that 1 of the toms has a truss set with teeny fruit, the other 2 tom plants have flowers but no fruit, with the different variety not having even all it's flowers on one truss open yet.

My plan - tomorrow I will remove the 2 chillies to their own pots, leaving just the 3 toms.  When to feed though?  Do I wait until all plants have fruit set?  To make it more complicated it's the original plant of the one that is now 2 that has set, so I can't even just feed a small amount to that hole as I will be feeding 2 plants.

Finally, the sidestem plant was grown off at an angle and I've managed to get it kind trained round a pole, but it's wrapped round only a 2ft thin cane, which is doing nowt.  I've seen a youtube on stringing them, and I could easily attach the string to my greenhouse roof stabilising strut and I'm happy with how to train tom on it.  What I don't know is what I do with the other length of the string, just attach to the thin cane that's already in place?

mrs mud

Re: Toms feeding & stringing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 21:49 »
I put the end of the twine under the plant at time of planting so it holds it firmly as the roots grow around it.  But for now I think tying it to the bottom of the cane would do, maybe make a groove in the cane or something to stop it sliding up
"Potters always play dirty!"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 22:41 »
or loop it right around the bottom of the growbag :unsure: and I'd feed at half strength for now  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:59 »
I always tie the string loosely round the stem, underneath the first set of leaves, and attach the top of the string to the greenhouse rafter.

As the tom grows, I wind the plant and the string together, so at no point is there any restriction in the plant's stem.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 12:54 »
Thanks folks, off to string and half feed now

xx
Feeding toms

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 12, 2013, 17:30
by dim
xx
Feeding Toms

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 21:31
by janeheritage
xx
Feeding toms

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 09:51
by DD.
xx
Feeding toms.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 22:52
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 31 queries.