Purslane?

• 5 Replies

Joolz

• Experienced Member
Purslane?
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:23 »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying to grow Purslane as I have heard it can be pleasant in salads and stir fry. Has anyone tried growing this before? Is it possible to sow direct in the ground or must it be started indoors.
I don't have a greenhouse or a great deal of indoor space so this is, unfortunately, a bit of a consideration.
Also is there just the green variety? I've seen mention of summer and winter but most seed seems to just state "green".

Thanks in advance

Joolz

savbo

Re: Purslane?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 13:07 »
the 2 purslanes aren't closely related - I have the seeds for both but have never grown them!

good info here
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show_vegetables_1/purslane-salad-winter-summer.php

M

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 17:29 »
Thanks Savbo
Can I ask where your seed came from? I've heard it is rather delicious and fancy having a go at growing it. I'd be interested in trying both varieties. It sounds very intriguing and I think it is popular in parts of Spain in salads.

Thanks

Joolz

savbo

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 18:20 »
I remember it took a bit of finding but got both from Edwin Tucker - organic too!

must try the summer purslane this April...

we got it partly cos it's supposed to be good for chickens and make their eggs more nutritious (some vitamin or mineral) - but we've not ahd chooks for 3 years!

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 19:14 »
Thanks Savbo
Edwin Tucker now seem to only have the one variety. However, I did another Google and have found all three varieties Green, Golden and Winter. So, the order has gone in. Now I just need to try to grow them  :blink:

:)
Joolz

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:18 »
Makes a great soup too (quite substantial because it's served with a poached egg on top):

Google 'sopa de beldroegas' and hit the 'translate this page' label on the www.gastronomias.com website of a good recipe.

SS

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 40 queries.