"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #315 on: April 24, 2015, 09:12 »
Could be a very tatty plum moth, but I hope not. This being the Daily Fail it could just be wrong

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559080/A-new-pest-flying-ravage-fruit-trees-Plum-moth-never-blighted-gardens-attacking-fruits.html

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #316 on: April 24, 2015, 15:52 »
I think I have found it, a Herald moth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Herald_%28moth%29
Anne

8doubles

« Reply #317 on: April 24, 2015, 17:59 »
Looks a lot more interesting with the wings spread !   :)

Snoop

« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2015, 12:54 »
A water snake hunting big, fat tadpoles where last year I grew cucumbers. Very odd!

Beekissed

« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2015, 23:14 »
9 baby possum....unfortunately~or fortunately, either way one looks at it~they met my dog first.  As did their mother they were hitching a ride upon.  Cute little boogers, though, even in death.  Fortunate for me, as possum like to eat chickens and I have the only flock for miles, so a whole new crop of chicken eaters were eliminated by one good chicken dog. 

Saw my blue tailed lizard in the lumber pile the other day and saw a hen turkey and two gobblers following her through the yard also.  Hoping to spot my brown and garter snakes soon....their offspring provide a lot of good protein for my chickens.  I allow them to live nearby~and even create habitat for them~ as they keep away more predatory and poisonous snakes and my chickens benefit from their being here. 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2015, 03:17 »
Wow, photos of your wildlife would be great to see....preferably live! :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2015, 20:51 »
Today I dug out some of my homemade compost & saw a scurrying, turned out to be a mouse,followed by 2 more,1 of which I helped to go in the same direction as the other 2. :wacko: :lol:. Later I looked at where I had spread the compost I saw a dead mouse  :ohmy: that I must have killed :( by accident .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

allotmentann

« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2015, 18:25 »
Oh Snowdrops! I love my mice! One has made his home in the veg garden and l haven't the heart to do anything about it! I saw his little eyes peeping out at me through the entrance to his home and knew l could never move him. I am way too soft! I used to have a family of them in my compost bins too. I can't even bear the gophers being killed and if you thought slugs did damage try gophers! They burrow underground and pull the whole plant through from the roots and keep going until every plant in the area has gone and l still can't hurt them! I even feel bad when l kill a black widow! :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2015, 21:41 »
Ann it was so tiny & pretty  :(

8doubles

« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2015, 22:25 »
Oh Snowdrops! I love my mice! One has made his home in the veg garden and l haven't the heart to do anything about it! I saw his little eyes peeping out at me through the entrance to his home and knew l could never move him. I am way too soft! I used to have a family of them in my compost bins too. I can't even bear the gophers being killed and if you thought slugs did damage try gophers! They burrow underground and pull the whole plant through from the roots and keep going until every plant in the area has gone and l still can't hurt them! I even feel bad when l kill a black widow! :nowink:

Every day's a school day !

I thought that only happened in cartoons ! :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2015, 23:04 »
No picture I'm afraid but had a surprise driving to Fleet in Hampshire this afternoon. A young deer shot across the road in front of me.......fortunately I was only driving at 25MPH and hit the brakes fast. Somewhat surprising as area in Fleet is suburban not countryside. Remembered the adage of another one possibly following but fortunately it was alone.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Snoop

« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08 »
A pair of water snakes mating in my top terrace-cum-lake. The longer one was about 90 cm, the other was about 65 cm.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2015, 09:47 »
Saw deer late thd other evening on the way back from the supermarket.
There is a road along the top of Estover to Roborough (and our old airport)  that is mostly factories and business units,  but there are a few housing estates dotted about.
The deer were obviously here first, before the land was developed and they just hang around the grassy areas in between the buildings.
They do cross the road scarily at times, but luckily locals expect them to be there so I think they're pretty safe :)

LotuSeed

« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2015, 21:45 »
Spotted the first dragonfly of the season. Must admit it lifted my spirits a bit.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Springlands

« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50 »
The sea in the bay opposite our house was very calm yesterday and I spent ages watching fish jump out of the water - then one of them seemed to float on top of the water for a couple of minutes before jumping and disappearing. Lovely to watch. I think, but am not too sure, that they are mullet.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 51 queries.