What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 17:50 »
In the garden I shredded the trundled wheel barrow load of prunings from the allotment plus the Christmas tree, then trundled it all to the plot, picked some veg for dinner, came home to make the dinner before going back to refill the wheel barrow with more prunings & trundling it back to shred tomorrow & repeat  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 17:51 »
plus I contacted the manure lady

I need a manure lady!

:lol: :lol: she has stables with race horses 10 minutes from my house! :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 18:00 »
Took a couple of bottles of warm water to the plot, mixed them in a bucket with some Jeyes fluid and scrubbed the outside of the polytunnel which is a bit manky. We don't have the water activated until March so I couldn't rinse it down today, but at least some of the gunk is off it for now.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 15:11 »
We planted a further 14 of the raspberries, so that's 2 more varieties planted. 4x Erika and 10x Glen Doll. Total of 24 planted and just 10x bare root plants of one left variety now.

We got the bed extended but only half as far as the plants go which is a bit of a cheat. The bed is totally dug over and edged for 4 pairs of plants. The remaining 3 pairs have a strip where they'll be dug and manured.

So tomorrow we'll edge the end, do the middle of the bed and hopefully finish it all off. So that includes planting the last 10 plants.

Forgot to add remin, will do that tomorrow.

Friday will be probably doing the middle of the bed, planting the Honeyberries and heeled in gooseberries.

snowdrops

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2020, 22:15 »
An hour at home shredding yesterday’s prunings, then a bit of pruning in the garden, but it was too damp to shred it, then trundled the shreddings to the plot & added them to the compost bin. Then I dug out 4 barrow loads of finished compos5 & mulched the asparagus bed. ‘ Did ‘ the chickens & cam3 Home to put my tools away, to be spotted by our little grandson coming back from the shed, shouting “Nee,nee (granny) & waving madly at my through the lounge window . What a welcome home  :lol:

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 13:14 »
Nothing in yesterday but got that bed almost done.

Today got the raspberries finished. So that's all 34 planted. The part  of the raspberry bed we wanted to do is finished except the middle strip which we'll dig out and feed for peas in the summer. We have to prioritise and putting plants is comes first.

Then we got the Honeyberries in. Turns out one of the 5 was 2 plants severely intertwined. I got some of the blackcurrants, but not the blackberry pruned.

Hurrah us. I am so sore and actually I'm about wrecked. 2 hours until co-codamol time.

So what to do now, we have loads of cuttings and heeled in Gooseberries and Strawberries. The kids will have to lump it and come up with us for an hour while we put them, in all their spikey glory at the back of the plot.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 17:28 »
Today the kids made a huge muddy puddle and two muddy puddle children. There was potatoes involved and a lot of playing hunt the 'tayto and loss of wellies. They also helped us plant 6 gooseberries in the bottom plot, in the top plot 2 Jostaberries, 1 karaka black blackberry, 3 pink currants, 1 red currant and 1x maybe black currant. oh and 3 strawberries.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 20:35 »
Scrounged some free wood from Facebook Marketplace.
Collected and spread three bags of seaweed.
Harvested parsnips and leeks.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 20:35 »
Sowed Carolina Reaper chilies.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 23:27 »
Dropped off some more offerings to the compost Gods. I was just preparing to plant out the pot raised garlic when the heavens opened and as I'd travelled with no coat I decided to head home. Sod's law as I got out of the car the rain stopped for the day  :mad:

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 12:59 »
Yesterday we planted Chester in a pot in the garden.

Today we dug in one post and reinforced another post which was being held in place by the wire. There wasn't any actual contact between it and the ground so we put in a new one which we'll zip tie in place tomorrow. Zip ties are in my pocket. We then dug 6x 1.5 foot square, 2 feet deep holes for the rhubarb with plenty of manure and some Growmore. We cleared all the grass from in between. We found strawberries and planted amongst the raspberries. We should chuck them.

3 gooseberries planted in the bottom plot. One maybe dead. We weren't sure.

Tomorrow we'll plant those crowns and repeat at the back for the gooseberries.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 12:38 »
Today we planted the rhubarb in the holes we prepared yesterday.
I put the zip ties in my pocket yesterday so the post we buried was attached to the post that is attached to the chicken wire so it doesn't knock the other one over.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2020, 12:32 »
Today we planted 3 potted gooseberries, 1 gooseberry cutting, covered some partially dug ground that's a mat of grass roots over with black plastic. Found some chicken wire closhes.

We got the biggest and most thorny on in. Right in front of the thornless gooseberry. It was a cutting from the weed covered gooseberry so it's fan shaped and all the buds point in one direction. So we're treating it like an espalier. Genius.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2020, 12:58 »
Today we planted
Potted plants
1x Hinnonmaki green
1x Hinnonmaki red

Cuttings
4x Worcesterberries. I trimmed the bottom since they hadn't rooted so it has fresh wood to start from. I'll get more cuttings so we can fill the back.

Moved
The pax espalier so it wasn't in the middle of the Worcesterberries.

Cut a buried branch off the Pax/Captivator -the almost thornless plant we took out of the other plot. It has a big root system and should get started asap now it's not 2 inches from it's parent.

Got home, new fork arrived within an hour. Hurrah!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2020, 13:11 »
Today we got in the 3 Junnifer red currants and a Ben Lomond black currant cutting that I took last year and has rooted nicely. Husband tried his new fork out and loves it. The long handle helps a lot. The sod was full of those long, tough grass roots. Monday if it's not raining we'll cover the area with the fruit canes with cardboard and put sod on top of it. Hopefully kill the grass off. We've a box mountain that's 6 foot tall.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 13:13 by WeavingGryphon »

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 54 queries.