Greenhouse woodchip heating?

• 4 Replies

savbo

Greenhouse woodchip heating?
« on: December 08, 2010, 18:19 »
Hi all

One for a wintry night....

When I was a ranger we had storage bays full of fresh woodchip. These got VERY hot just a few centimetres down and stayed like that for weeks. I always wondered how we could capture that heat.

Now I have an allotment I've been wondering whether I could heat my greenhouse for a few months Jan-April. Ideas I've knocking around include a heat box (6'x3'x3' insulated box or even an old washing machine), filled with chip, then a heat collector (either some kind of metal vessel (old gas bottle?) or a coil of black water pipe or an old radiator) connected to a radiator or underfloor heating in the greenhouse. Would it need pumping or would the rising heat of the water give us a trickle of circulation? Would you need a thermostat? Would it just not give enough heat (if an electric heater is 2KW I can't see it pumping that out)?

Thought it might be an interesting one for people to bat around. If it's a non-starter maybe I'll go for Dick Strawbridge's heat store idea...

savbo

greendog

Re: Greenhouse woodchip heating?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:08 »
ive seen programmes about old time gardeners who used to heat frames by burying a thick layer of raw manure and they used to grow pineapples. i would imagine a lot depends on whether you want a warm greenhouse or just frost free  its bound to give heat to the greenhouse but a lot of factors will affect how much

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 20:45 »
I have known some compost and similar heaps spontaneously combust when too hot, and would invite caution if you can't guarantee that won't happen.

Another thing to bear in mind is that it might create a lot of condensation, which you don't want in an unventilated cold greenhouse - recipe for fungal problems.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

savbo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51 »
thanks for comments - I have seen a hotbed in use and wanted to see if something more engineered and predictable was possible. I was thinking of having the box outside the greenhouse both in terms of space needed and the moisture/spores issue...

kenny199

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 18:18 »
ive seen programmes about old time gardeners who used to heat frames by burying a thick layer of raw manure and they used to grow pineapples. i would imagine a lot depends on whether you want a warm greenhouse or just frost free  its bound to give heat to the greenhouse but a lot of factors will affect how much
I have seen this at "The Lost Gardens Of Heligan" .It inspired me to try it with toms in a greenhouse and got toms end May and they went on longer as well.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

xx
greenhouse heating

Started by loobs61 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 05:19
by Fisherman
xx
Greenhouse heating

Started by Nogger on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 12:57
by richyrich7
xx
Heating an 8' x 6' greenhouse

Started by llinx on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 13:17
by stompy
xx
Economical greenhouse heating

Started by tenderness on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 17:34
by jaap

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 32 queries.