Villiers MK12

• 6 Replies

Bigbadfrankie

Villiers MK12
« on: March 20, 2010, 19:27 »
I am going to try and get my MK12 engine going. Does any one have a engine manual or a link to one please.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 19:56 by Bigbadfrankie »
always have a target
and an objective.

dorimower

• Experienced Member
Re: Villiers MK12
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 20:19 »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 20:21 by dorimower »

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 21:34 »
Thanks Dori

prinsteadpoint

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:53 »
Hi I was given a Howard 200 fitted with a Villiers mk12 because the owner always had difficulty starting it, but I have been using it now for 3 years and it starts first time, but only needs the choke if it is very cold, or has not been run for some time. To get it working I first cleaned out the float chamber of the carb which had dirt and residue in it. I then removed the flywheel and cleaned and set the points at exactly the right gap. Finally I removed the cut out switch, which had been DIY fitted to the handlebars, and reverted to using the switch OEM fitted to the side of the engine. It now starts easily and pulls 2HP and I have cleared 2 allotments from rough ground to full cultivation which says a lot for a 40 year old machine. Good luck - if you do flood it take off the air filter and give it a pull and refit it when it starts. 

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 22:03 »
I am a long way from any flooding problems :D
I have two engines. One turns over and sparks, this one would seem to be a MK12/2 and the other one turns about 3/4 of a revolution each way and i think its a 12/1. The second engine also spews out oil from a nut on the barrel casing.
The pull start spring is broken and niether has a exhaust or air filter.
Thanks to Dori I have some info so I will make a start in the workshop later this week if I have no over time.

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54 »
I used to love these engines :)Maybe because a  Mk10 in a Barford Atom was the first engine I worked on way back in the late 1950's when in my early teens . I even have old engines and spare parts of several MK's somewhere in the depth of my barn.
Is the nut you are refering to on the block to the side of the valve tappet cover?if so it has a ball bearing inside and acts as a breather.The only way oil can get inside this chamber with out the engine running  is if its has been on its side, the oil can fill it and drain back out when righted.
smud6ie

Paul T

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 16:09 »
A possible problem with the engine which turns about 3/4 of a revolution each way, could be due to a foreign body (stone, nut etc.) in the cylinder above the piston.  I once found the same problem on a Honda engine I was given.  Being convinced it was a serious bottom end problem, I totally dismantled the engine, only to find out it was caused by an exhaust manifold nut which had dropped into the cylinder above the piston.  Would have only required fishing out or removing the cylinder head at the worst.

Good luck!

Paul T

xx
Villiers MK12 no spark

Started by mitzygolf on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2022, 12:53
by R Tallentire
xx
Monro tiller villiers mk12

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 18:32
by jezza
clip
Villiers Mk12 air filter cleaning

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2021, 21:04
by R Tallentire
clip
Monro tiller. Villiers mk12 coil backplate removal

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2021, 15:04
by mitzygolf

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.