Shed felt

• 10 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Shed felt
« on: February 16, 2014, 15:55 »
So I have a big strip of shed felt damaged by the weather - it is the middle strip on the roof and although only put on this summer it has come off and now has a few tears in it so I obviously needs to get some more. I will only need a 1.5m length at most as my shed is tiny so I thought I would have a quick browse online at costs(naively thinking it would be cheap).

The going rate seems to be about £25 for an 8m roll  :ohmy: is there anywhere cheaper to get a small piece does anyone know?

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Re: Shed felt
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 22:20 »
Ask around the other plot holders see if they have any spare, I had 75% of a full roll sat in my shed for about 20 years and got fed up of storing it and tripping over it, I would of been happy to give it away. 

MalcW

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05 »
With the weather having been like it is lately, I imagine a lot of people have been buying it. It might be worth putting a Wanted ad on Freecycle to see if anyone has some left over.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39 »
There are different qualities and grades of felt - basically you get what you pay for - or get off freecycle

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 14:06 »
Yes, you need to ask around and hope to get lucky - don't be tempted to buy the cheapest roll you can find just because it's only a repair because you would probably use the rest of the roll next time you have to completely re-cover the shed, and cheap roofing felts don't last long in my experience.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 14:37 »
It is a shame we don't live closer, half of mine has come off in the recent winds, so I too am looking to buy felt for a small shed roof! I really don't want to have store loads of the stuff.  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 16:47 »
Thanks for all the tips. I don't think getting some from our plot is likely as it is a very small site and I never seem to see anybody - weeks can go by before I see anyone else
Looks like I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a whole roll and store it

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 16:59 »
Just been to jewsons for a roll of roof felt  :ohmy:£26+vat knew i should have used black plastic what i have :mad:
diggity dig dig

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 17:09 »
Just been to jewsons for a roll of roof felt  :ohmy:£26+vat knew i should have used black plastic what i have :mad:

I know! I thought I would be able to buy a piece of it for a reasonable price but no such luck :( I might see if I can salvage the piece I have and use other waterproof material I have underneath

grendel

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 13:04 »
don't forget to use the sealing tar stuff to help it stick on, that way there is less chance of losing it next time.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 17:21 »
Thanks. I have recycled the bit I had - the 'rips' lined back up nicely and I used extra adhesive and tacks. I will also lpkeep my eyes open for extra bits to patch, over the next few months

xx
Shed

Started by stompy on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2006, 23:48
by GrannieAnnie
question
7 x 4 shed for under £100??????

Started by sarac on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 21:02
by Twoflower
xx
New Shed

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2016, 18:43
by The Red Baron
xx
Shed! Nearly done...

Started by Heather_S on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 20:30
by John

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 40 queries.