poisonous to hens?

• 4 Replies

cheshirecat

poisonous to hens?
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:15 »
Morning all!  More advice please.  In the bottom half of my garden which is fenced off for my girls there is a Sycamore tree with a Virginia Creeper climbing round it.  The girls peck at the leaves of the Creeper and up to now dont seem to have come to any harm.  Should I be cutting the VC back?  Also the leaves have started falling now from the Sycamore, is it best to clear them up or can I leave them on the ground?

I posted a question a short while ago bout my P Rock and when she would start laying.  Am pleased to report she is now producing an egg most days and makes a hell of a noise before and after the process! 

Thanks to you all for your help. :D
Max.

Flowerpower136

Re: poisonous to hens?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:21 »
It's not a plant that would ring alarm bells for me.  But as per earlier post elsewhere, have yet to find a definitive list of plants poisonous specifically to hens.

Anyminute now, the leaves are going to turn a beautiful scarlet, and then all drop off.  Great scratchings for the hens, they'll love the drifts to route round in. 

Though someone might come on and tell us that they will harbour lurgies............. :unsure:

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 13:36 »
I know someone who had vc planted in their Golden Pheasant pens for cover, no problems with them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 13:38 »
The creeper would be a good habitat for creepy crawlies so your hens may well be eating those  :D. Congratulations on the eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 15:52 »

we have virginia creeper and a sycamore tree in the garden and the chooks are fine, the VG is over the top of the summer house and is just beginning to go over the top of the run as well, (they're joined together) so should look pretty next month  :)

xx
plants poisonous to hens?

Started by marp on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 00:02
by Lindeggs
xx
What plants are poisonous to hens?

Started by Kuikentje on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:25
by nuzuki
xx
Could a privet hedge be poisonous to hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 13:11
by Debz
xx
Ivy poisonous?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:39
by beki

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.