Reeds- are they poisonous?

• 4 Replies

Helenaj

Reeds- are they poisonous?
« on: August 01, 2013, 19:59 »
As some of you know, I'm looking to dig out a duck pond. The area I am putting it in has a natural spring that will need to be moved back to its original course - over the years it has become silted up and has spread across the area rather than running through its true course, so I intend to remedy that before I dig the pond. However, because the area has become marshy over the years there are quite a lot of reeds - I don't know which species they are but they are the long needle type reed which when you peel them have a white, almost spongy centre that you can pull out - almost like a white shoelace. My question is - are these poisonous to ducks and the occasional hen that may wander over? Because I don't know the variety, I can't look them up because some call them reeds, others bulrushes.

Many Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Reeds- are they poisonous?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 23:24 »
I believe they are actually edible and taste starchy.  Think I saw it on a Ray Mears programme.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 20:45 »
most ponds have them and the ducks survive. Hens and ponds don't tend to mix as ducks filter water and chooks can't resulting in runny bums and flies.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55 »
most ponds have them and the ducks survive. Hens and ponds don't tend to mix as ducks filter water and chooks can't resulting in runny bums and flies.

That's what I suspected, being marshy plants. It's nice to be re-assured though! :D

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:20 »
Sounds like Common Rush to me, the only thing i know of that eats them are Water Voles. :)

xx
Ivy poisonous?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:39
by beki
xx
Elderberry Poisonous?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 13:58
by andreadon
xx
Foxgloves..?poisonous

Started by mikeschooks on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 22:29
by Brambles
xx
Poisonous Trees

Started by Honey bird on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 19:58
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 35 queries.