when its gone its gone

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

when its gone its gone
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:47 »
 I thought for a large village we had everything a good bus service a good train service a bank a post office a library a garage

and so the rot setts in first we lost bank then the post office then half our bus service now we are about to loose our local garage not selling fuel anymore something to do with upgrading the owner says its uneconomical to carry on and our library is hanging on by a thread

but look on the bright side we have four cafe's and two restaurants and two takeaways well suppose you have to get your priorities right who wants a bank a post office a good bus service and a garage when you can eat your self silly O and two pubs and two clubs

the end of village life as we knew it  :dry:

mrs bouquet

Re: when its gone its gone
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 12:24 »
Our little shop/post office, closed down, and so the village community all clubbed in a bought it.  It is run by volunteers and one person who is paid as the manager.  We used to have the mobile library come here, but that stopped a few years ago.   But, yes, we have 3 pubs, an indian restaurant, and a very expensive restaurant.  Oh, and an antique shop - really useful.    We do have a proper butchers, who also sells fruit and veg at a cost !    The bus service is one every hour until 6pm, but it doesn't go where it used to go, and that includes passing the station  :mad:   ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 15:22 »
Our village library is run by volunteers,it’s a reduced open hours but is very successful
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 15:23 »
we have a shop, a mobile post office (might be worthwhile to see if you have one and your village added) a mobile chip shop on a Wednesday for an hour....they do 20+ villages as well as 3 chip shops. Not sure if the library comes any more. Nearest bank for me is 45mins away, so post office does help.
Shops in the next village and loads in Sleaford.
No pubs so no drunks or agro, but plenty of homebrew
2 buses 9am and 11, but only 1 coming back leaves local town 10am...you need a car

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 15:47 »
No street lights, proper road, mobile signal, pub, shop in my little bit paradise.

Nearest village has post office, half dozen hair dressers, few charity shops great fish & chip shop but no banks.

Only issue I have is Tesco is shutting down it fresh fish & deli so nothing fresh any more apart from what I grow.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 16:40 »
I forgot we still have a butchers shop but no mobile library the only thing I can say is we do have a couple of good shops and a chip shop from what some of you are saying we are better of than some of you and our library is to run by volunteers 

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 16:45 »
We have a visiting library and one to town, I must say I very rarely visit it as all my reading is done on a kindle.

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.