Argh! Wonky duckling - any more ideas?!

• 14 Replies

kirstie1978

Argh! Wonky duckling - any more ideas?!
« on: October 04, 2010, 19:01 »
Hi everyone, wonky has not managed a day without the plasters as support sadly, he can stand with them, but not without. His leg appears to be twisting out now... does anyone have any ideas? I've uploaded some photos below. He is going to the vet tomorrow to see what (if anything) can be done to help him. Whatever happens i will make sure he doesn't suffer, but as he is so attached to the chicks and visa versa, i will do what i can... any ideas are welcomed, but please note, i'm not worried about him being wonky cosmetically speaking, only about his quality of life and mobility etc....  thanks
Wonkytwisted leg1.jpg
wonky twisted leg 2.jpg

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Argh! Wonky duckling - any more ideas?!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 19:23 »
Wow! That is a very wonky duck.

I have a similarly wonky quail although not as severe and I very much doubt there is anything that can be done. My quail who has needless to say ended up with the name Quasimodo seems amazingly unaffected and can run about, eat and drink and is feathering up quickly and if anything is one of the dominent ones of the hatch. He looks awful though and I have to say if there is ever a suggestion of suffering he will be culled. I have to say I would have serious concerns about the wellbeing of an animal that cannot support it's self as sooner or later it will end up suffering. 
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kirstie1978

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 19:30 »
He can stand up and get around without but just waddles very heavily and seems to find it tiring. Although I'm not sure if his lying down is to help his food etc go down. He will be seen by the vet tomorrow an all I can hope is that it's good news!
Thanks
Kirstie

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 21:15 »
Good Luck Kirstie and keep us posted!  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

evie2

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 21:35 »
Good luck for tomorrow, I'll keep my fingers crossed :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

kirstie1978

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 22:19 »

kirstie1978

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 19:07 »
The vet has immobilised his legs by strapping them together all the way up. We have now to hang him in a sock so his legs are straighter as this will help them grow straighter apparently and so help it from slipping out to the side. Will update with photos later if we manage to achieve this! Fingers crossed the vets advice works, should know Friday. Please don't try this at home, this is under the advice and guidance of a world renowned avian vet!!

Thanks for the support etc

Kirstie

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 20:14 »
would be fascinated to see pics.  Good Luck, I hope it works  :)

evie2

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 20:30 »
Fingers crossed Kirsty :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 20:32 »
fingers crossed xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

kirstie1978

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 21:37 »
He was so not happy about being separated from the chicks and would not settle in the sling and I couldn't leave him with his legs bound in a cage that I've had to cut the bonds :o( he's back with the chicks and I'm going to go back to the original attempts with just strapping them together and will have a chat with the vet tomorrow. Gutted but couldn't see him so distressed as it was upsetting me. All I can do is hope for the best :o( any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 21:52 »
wishing all well for friday

kirstie1978

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45 »
I was going to take a picture of the sling etc as he was nicely settled, but then he got really agitated which is when i decided after he started thrashing about that enough was enough.

So, i spoke to the vet this morning about where to go from here as i failed with the sling....he says that there's not a great deal we can do as he is managing to get about on his own and that the best thing is to leave him as is and then as and when he's older we can look at repairing it properly if needs be. He suggests starting him on layers pellets, although they have a mix of crumb and pellets as he can't always manage to eat them at the moment. So we will just have to wait and see what happens and hope that his leg gets better. I asked about a less restrictive hobble as i had had before and he said that it would not now be of any benefit despite me asking about it as it seems to keep his leg under his body so would seem sensible. Sadly he thinks it will not help him now. :o(

I will try keep you guys posted, i want to say thanks for all the support... despite my lack of knowledge and feeling as if i'm bumbling through i am hoping that i can give this little guy a better life than he was destined for when i met him on day 1...

kirstie1978

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42 »
OK, although not quite as easy to see as with him in it, here's the set-up we tried after the vet recommended. His feet and legs were bound together with Micropore tape from top to bottom as a hobble, (instead of the band-aid version we'd tried before to allow him to move) and then put through the first hole in the tea-towel, dangling down i suppose. The other hole was for his vent so he didn't end up covered in poop. He just kind of laid in there on his tummy, the idea of the process being to totally rest his legs. This also meant i would have to give him regular feeds etc.I had this suspended in my parrot's travel cage on the perches, which meant his legs couldn't touch the floor....

I hope this kind of gives you an idea as to what the vet was trying to achieve, albeit i failed miserably on keeping him in there :o( That said the chicks are happy to have him back as you'll see from the photo... poor little guy!!
Sling.jpg
Protective Chicks.jpg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:49 by kirstie1978 »

r2d2

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 16:54 »
I can't offer any advice but I will keep an eye on this thread and I hope everything works out for wonky, I also applaud you for your efforts to do the best for him.

Mike

xx
Wonky Duckling - help please!!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:18
by kirstie1978
xx
argh red mite again?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 10:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
Argh one chicken refusing to go to bed.

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 11:37
by Nicki85
xx
Wonky crop????

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 08:44
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 29 queries.