runner beans

• 8 Replies

musical

runner beans
« on: July 21, 2006, 21:59 »
This year I have grown runner beans in a tub.  They seemed to be doing really well at first.  Now however, I have whole tendrils, which were full of flowers, seemingly stripped and only have 1 or 2 beans growing!  There is a very small amount of black fly but nothing else.  Any ideas?

Oliver

Re: runner beans
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 23:38 »
Quote from: "musical"
This year I have grown runner beans in a tub.  They seemed to be doing really well at first.  Now however, I have whole tendrils, which were full of flowers, seemingly stripped and only have 1 or 2 beans growing!  There is a very small amount of black fly but nothing else.  Any ideas?
SNAILS! Believe me, I know, she has beans in pots too and the SNAILS strip them, especially after a drop of rain, like today.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
runner beans
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:07 »
We grew runner beans in a big tub when we lived on the Isle of Man with a concrete garden. To either side were dry stone walls in which lived masses of slugs and snails. I mean whole armies of the devils!

Oliver is bang on there - bet they're your problem.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

musical

runner beans
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 20:51 »
Thanks
I did think it looked like snails so I tried to keep an eye out.  Even so I have still not seen a single one.
However, it makes me feel better that is not something I have done wrong.  Just disappointing!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
runner beans
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 20:56 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that runner beans won't do something or other (i thought it was set flower but make it was set fruit) if the temperature is over 30C. Maybe the freakily hot weather we're having is having an effect?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

marie

runner beans
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:09 »
Mmmm I think the heat is having a bad effect on the runner beans, ours are not very good at all, not many flowers and few leaves despite watering well in this weather!

Oliver

Runners in TUBS
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:31 »
Quote from: "marie"
Mmmm I think the heat is having a bad effect on the runner beans,

The heat IS having an effect on the runners - even Old Fred's, (he is 93 you know and usually has FANTASTIC beans) are pretty poor. Ours are marginally better.
The ones in the tubs, however, are the worst - few beans forming on the trusses - severe lack of water (the tubs dry up very quickly - they need watering sometimes twice a day and she forgets ... :roll: ) but whenever it has rained the snails finish off what is left. Some of the leaves are just veins!  So, in future, no beans in tubs, even though one tub looks quite good with greenery and some flowers, the other one is pathetic!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
runner beans
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 13:34 »
Mmmm, I've only gtot 36 runner plants this year as opposed to 70 dd last year, but I promised OH I wouldn't grow as many as the freezer was full of them, then broke, also OH doesn't like to eat them when they are frozen, but even so, I don't have vast amounts left over after picking what I want, so yes, mine too are a lot less than last year, even though I keep trying to water them.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
runner beans
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 13:57 »
My Runners are going very well although the flowers lower down the stems did not set very well. I would think that 70% of flowers are now setting.  Only difference I have noticed this year is that the beans are very curly - could this be down to lack of water?  The earth is always wet when I go to water (twice a day)

My dear old grandfather always used to plant sweet peas amongst his beans to attract the bees.  So every forth stick I have planted a sweet pea as well as a runner bean.  I can't tell if it has made any difference to the pollination process, but I am picking a large bunch of sweet peas every day now - along with 1/2 pound or so of runners.

I have notice far fewer bees this year.  Last year as you approach the beans you were greeted by a buzzing/hummm
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.