Watch out for the con men

• 15 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Watch out for the con men
« on: April 12, 2020, 18:40 »
I had an email from someone I know, just an acquaintance, asking if I could help him. Bit odd but.. so replied what do you need? Well he replied
Am so happy to hear back from you, I need you to help me purchase an Amazon gift card at the store OR online on amazon for my nieces who just recovered from COVID-19 it her birthday, but i can't do this now because I'm currently lockdown in Spain. Can you get it from any store around you? OR purchase the card online? I'll pay back as soon as i am back. Kindly let me know if you can handle this. I hope to hear back from you as soon as possible.
Thanks,
XXXXX

That was when the penny dropped - some scammer had hacked his email and was contacting everyone on the list. I almost fell for it...

Incidentally - if you see any posts on here that look odd, particularly with a link in, please report them to a mod and we'll check them out. Very few get through the minefield and past the wire, but we don't want any.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

Re: Watch out for the con men
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 19:43 »
thanks John will be on my guard for that and l will let the mod know if i see anything not quite rite

jezza

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:49 »
Hello Amazon reckon that they've shut my access to this site down because I haven't paid my subscription to them I sent them an email(not repeatable on here)telling them that if they took a penny out of my account my mate in the C.P.S would behaving a word with them not heard another word from them  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:58 »
I keep getting some sort of email from an address ending in amazonaws.com, they all look dodgy, but Chrome is pretty good at sifting through the trash!

I do wish I'd won the Nigerian lottery though...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:05 »
Did you see that video clip doing the rounds of a Nigerian prince with stacks of gold bars emailing people for help and complaining nobody wanted to help him sell it? Well it made me laugh.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:29 »
Did you see that video clip doing the rounds of a Nigerian prince with stacks of gold bars emailing people for help and complaining nobody wanted to help him sell it? Well it made me laugh.

Noooooo...!

Must check my spam box though...

:0)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 16:26 »
Just got a scam from "paypal" from this email. The domain is proof of the brass neck of this lot.

s‎‎‌‍‍‍‍‍‍er‎‌‍‍‍‍‍‍vi‎ce@intl.p‎ay‎p‌al.c‎om‍‍‍‍‍‍‎ <vnam1jqrxf94cf2ugvnam1j@proofofhistoryispower.com>

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 18:01 »
Having read your post yesterday John I was contacted by a committee member saying I had sent them a similar email & later in the evening another committee member the same. I’ve changed my google pass word but is that enough? On an iPad there’s little you can get at virus zapper wise.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 19:43 »
Just got a scam from "paypal" from this email. The domain is proof of the brass neck of this lot.

s‎‎‌‍‍‍‍‍‍er‎‌‍‍‍‍‍‍vi‎ce@intl.p‎ay‎p‌al.c‎om‍‍‍‍‍‍‎ <vnam1jqrxf94cf2ugvnam1j@proofofhistoryispower.com>
Usually they take over someone's old domain or even a current website and use that as spam central without the owner's knowledge.
Having read your post yesterday John I was contacted by a committee member saying I had sent them a similar email & later in the evening another committee member the same. I’ve changed my google pass word but is that enough? On an iPad there’s little you can get at virus zapper wise.
I don't use gmail but I think if they get in to your account that gives them access to your address book etc. Changing your password is a great first step and sending out an email warning everyone about what's happened a good second step.
Since many apps remember your password, it's worth getting a secure random one - I'd suggest 12 to 15 characters. https://www.random.org/passwords/
Think you need to google further on what to do - I'm not security expert  :(

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 09:44 »
Just had an email promising me the chance to make lots of money buying property.  I've been referred by a friend? Problem is they use the name in my email address which bears no resemblances to the real thing!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 10:33 »
Sounds like the Haywards Heath Costa Nostra, Gran!

They can't spell either...

;0)

dugless

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 17:27 »
I have Telephone scams saying my brodband has been compromised and to press one for telecom and 2 for anything else  needless to say I just put the phone down
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 13:43 »
TSB spoke to Radio Scotland today about scammers and went into a few tricks that they are deploying, that they've put a coronavirus spin onto. It's at the 12:23 mark-23 minutes in since it starts at noon. Link below.

I'm getting loads of emails about refunds because vague things have been delayed or cancelled because of the virus. others are saying sorry for the delay, staff problems means payment is late because of the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000hm3h

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 14:19 »
Just paid a small local amount to an online account, and our bank  - certified on this transaction, have deployed all sorts of security procedures, I began to wish that I'd just gone round and paid cash...

But of course, they're right, and the security questions were very good and well organised! Good for them and definitely good for us!

BTW, any money you have spare can go to an offshore account 'Growsterbank Inc', and addressed to 'The Growsters', Lagos, Nigeria, where it will all vanish in a flish...

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 13:08 »
… or you'd be better off investing your wonga in GG's Channel Island's bank account where the said wonga would be distributed as fair as can be, i.e. 80% to me, 10% to Angela Snow, and the rest I will donate to Growster's ever-growing pub tab that he keeps forgetting to pay!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

54 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
Bird watch

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

142 Replies
Last post February 16, 2024, 08:39
by snowdrops
xx
Pandemic films to watch

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 10:28
by basketcase
xx
Interesting watch from BBC4

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 11:30
by JayG

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 51 queries.