Bird watch

• 142 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Bird watch 2018
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 12:42 »
Loads of goldfinches on our bird feeders yesterday.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 17:53 »
A Goldcrest got confused by our double glazing (again) today and lightly stunned itself. It ended up perched on the timber right outside the window and I was able to get the camera right up to it on the inside of the glass. Britain's smallest bird, apparently. Six grams of fluff with a beak.

After a couple of minutes resting it was off...
Goldcrest.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 18:49 »
I spotted a pheasant (live) by the side of the road on my travels today, you forget what lovely colours they are
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 19:22 »
We have a group of three male pheasants that come to feed in our garden and their backs and wings all differ in colour. They are alert, of course, but pretty unconcerned providing we stand still indoors.

Their tiny brains are completely baffled by the standard wire stockproof fence. They can get their heads and necks through then back off, run a few feet to the left and try again... and again. Back and forth. The girls seem a little better at finding the low spots in the ground and squeezing under.

Goosegirl

Re: Bird watch
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 14:46 »
We have our goldfinches, sparrows and starlings a-plenty plus a lovely coloured pheasant and saw a lone little white egret in a field today.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:54 by JayG »

Goosegirl

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 15:36 »
Yesterday we saw a woodpecker on one of our trees, then later there was a barn owl flying around with an occasional rest on a fence post. Wonderful!

Goosegirl

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 13:16 »
We saw a buzzard with a kill in the field next to us, but they are quite lazy birds so it may have already been killed by something else.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 15:29 »
Walking along the Prom yesterday, I was amazed to see pretty Wagtails.   I know they are ground feeds, so I guess they enjoy all the little crumbs , that are left over from others who feed the seagulls.   They were very tame and not in the least bit scared by me standing very close and watching.   Maybe they nest in the big tamarisk bushes all along the front.   They made me smile.  :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 07:53 »
   We have 15 various nest boxes around the garden including 1 of 2 kinds to encourage swallows. We have never been lucky as they never venture this end of the village i suppose because all the farms with their muddy ponds are at the other end. Since we put them up though a few years ago we have had sweet little sparrows take them up. I noticed this a couple of days ago they had "bagged" their spot again for the year. Female was poking her head out and the male was standinding on the gutter. It brought to mind a holiday resort with Germans throwing a towel over the sunloungers. It's mine haha.

Goosegirl

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 11:35 »
We get loads of white swans on the nearby fields but yesterday we had our first black one!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 17:07 »
I know most folks attract birds by putting out nuts and seeds but we have the occasional visitor that tries to serve themselves and hits the glass instead. Fortunately they are usually just stunned for about ten minutes or so and then make their way off muttering darkly about window reflections.

Today's visitor is a Dunnock. Sparrow-sized, shy but they sing nicely. Oh, and dodo all over the decking while recovering.
Dunnock.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 21:01 »
We have a green & yellow parakeet visiting feeders here (not ours as it is too close to the house) which escaped from an aviary two years ago. It is not a rose ring-neck one, but larger than that. Looks very healthy and takes no nonsense from cats, either, making a good job of seeing them off!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 19:50 »
I know most folks attract birds by putting out nuts and seeds but we have the occasional visitor that tries to serve themselves and hits the glass instead. Fortunately they are usually just stunned for about ten minutes or so and then make their way off muttering darkly about window reflections.

Today's visitor is a Dunnock. Sparrow-sized, shy but they sing nicely. Oh, and dodo all over the decking while recovering.
   Before you have a tragedy buy some stickers to put on your glass. You obviously have a problem ,as you mention 2 birds within a few days. Our biggest heartbreak was a nuthatch that flew into the window and died. We had only seen it once before  a few days before the tragic accident. I cried loads and couldn't bear to dispose of such a gorgeous bird in the bin so buried the poor mite. We have stickers now on the worse Windows but can't be everywhere. We still lose a few sparrows and a couple of young blackbirds. It's so sad.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2019, 07:14 »
We tend to get one bird every couple of months by my reckoning and have had one fatality that we are aware of in two years which was a Tree Creeper.

I think that stickers are not going to be sensible in our situation. Due to the design of our house we have a very large areas of glass in one room down to floor level as it was designed for providing a view for a wheelchair user. I know that dot stickers and similar can help with bird impacts but the neighbour's working farm cats get way more furry and feathery critters than we do. If we put planters with shrubs against the windows we will lose the rural view that we have.

It may be thought a little selfish but we can help a bit by letting the birds recover quietly. We don't approach the stunned birds while they are recovering. Most of my pics have been taken from inside and they don't seem to register my presence for the first few minutes so hopefully they are not too disturbed.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It is appreciated.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2019, 10:43 »
The tits are back and checking out the box.  However, there has been a bit of a punch-up, the sparrow gang have decided to have a look around for themselves.   They can not get completely in the hole - why don't they go to their own sparrow box.  :wacko:  Mrs Bouquet

xx
Great British Bird Watch 2024

Started by Ali T on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 16:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

54 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
Interesting watch from BBC4

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 11:30
by JayG

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 49 queries.