"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #615 on: November 10, 2023, 21:13 »
Magnificent
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #616 on: November 11, 2023, 08:37 »
How wonderful for you to see that.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #617 on: November 11, 2023, 15:11 »
How wonderful for you to see that.  :)

GG, we have a very large number of deer in our neighborhood.  The most hilarious recent incident that I observed was a herd of about 20 deer at once, crossing en masse out of our neighbor hood, across a road, and and into an adjacent park. The part that was funny: they were all crossing at a marked pedestrian crosswalk!  They had traffic on the road stopped at the crosswalk for about a minute, but they were following the rules for pedestrians, and all crossed safely.

When I go for my daily walk, it is unusual if I don't see at least one deer. About two or three months ago, this bloke and another of about the same age were hanging out together in another corner of the neighborhood (older bucks are fairly easy to distinguish from one another by the antlers; his friend has distinctive antlers that stand very upright). I was walking in the early evening and passed by where they were standing in someone else's front yard. They snorted quite loudly, clearly telling me "on your bike".  I kept moving, no need to anger the large creatures with pointy things on their heads.  Right now, we are in the middle of rutting season, so the friends have parted company until that's over (rut is a dangerous time, bucks can be aggressive to each other, people and dogs, and are more likely to be a traffic hazard).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 15:21 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #618 on: November 12, 2023, 08:59 »
Ha! I remember years ago when we lived in an old cottage on Thurnham Moss near the Lune estuary. I happened to be out the back and saw a stag in the field next to us. Later on I told my husband about it and he said what I saw was a big dog. My reply was - A big dog? With antlers?  :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: December 27, 2023, 14:18 »
A couple snaps of Marshal (cat) viewing an Eastern Gray Squirrel from the cover of his wildlife blind... er, I mean couch.

It's the Lord Marshal's job to keep an eye on the wildlife at Subversive Headquarters.
20231227_090135.jpg
20231227_090913.jpg
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 16:34 by Subversive_plot »

Goosegirl

« Reply #620 on: December 28, 2023, 09:23 »
Does Marshal make "chattering" noises like some cats do when they see birds?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #621 on: December 28, 2023, 13:24 »
Yes, he chatters at them. Seems excited to see them.

Goosegirl

« Reply #622 on: December 29, 2023, 09:14 »
I believe it's due to their jaws chattering together in anticipation of a good meal.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #623 on: December 29, 2023, 23:15 »
I believe it's due to their jaws chattering together in anticipation of a good meal.

Possibly on an 'instinct' level. Marshal is a totally indoor cat (we have coyotes here). A such, he has never had a meal in its feathery (or furry) casing!  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: February 21, 2024, 19:58 »
Saw the first frog of the year in my little wildlife pond at home. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #625 on: February 22, 2024, 18:31 »
I had to chase five does at once out of our back garden yesterday morning.  I was flapping my arms at them and yelling, using some "choice words".  The neighbors probably think I've gone a half bubble off center (maybe a full bubble).

The previous two years a doe has had fawns in our back garden during the spring.  No more please.  The fawns are cute, but the mama deer are destructive, and also dangerous (especially to our dog).  I'm clearing brush out of our patch of woods to prevent the deer from getting any ideas.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 51 queries.