Greehouse on exposed allotment site

• 13 Replies

ptarmigan

Greehouse on exposed allotment site
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:22 »
Hi

Inexperienced allotmenter with an allotment for a year now.  The local council set up this new allotment site about a year ago - and we got one of the most exposed plots.  Beautiful views of the hills and the sea, but it is really windy. Has anyone got any tips for putting up a greenhouse so that it won't sail off into the housing estate next door - already lost a shed that completely dissappeared after a gale...

Cheers

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Greehouse on exposed allotment site
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:31 »
Blimey! :blink: :blink:  A shed that disappered after a gale!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have lost a shed I would doubt theres anyway you could pin down a greenhouse in anyway that would make sure it stayed put!

Maybe driving posts very far into the ground at all the corners and secring the greenhouse to those?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:12 »
A few thoughts:

1) I realise your allotment is quite new but if any other plotholders have already successfully erected greenhouses that's a good place to learn some tips for what works where you are.

2) Don't buy the cheapest greenhouse you can find - structural rigidity will be just as important to avoid breakages (you will have to make up your own mind about the glazing material - some say plastic glazing is good because it won't break, others say it is too flexible in windy sites and pops out too easily - "gluing" in position is a possibility.)

3) Concrete building blocks make a good heavy base if part-buried in the ground, but make sure the greenhouse is well attached to them (long frame-fixing screws and plugs is one way but there are others.)

4) Don't have the door facing the prevailing winds - east-facing is probably about the safest direction but even then don't leave the door wide open (glazing is more vulnerable to being blown outwards than inwards.)

Good luck!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:17 »
Twice we have erected 8 x 6 greenhouses on exposed sites, and they stayed put while we lived at each location.

The opposite end to the door faced the prevailing wind and four railway sleepers were used for the base. Eight wooden tanalised stakes were driven into the ground on the outside of the sleepers and fixed to them with long screws. The stakes were sawn off level with the sleepers and the greenhouse frame was screwed directly to the sleepers.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:46 »
Hiya

Thank you all!  That's given me a good idea of where to start.  Just to clarify - the shed that went was about 4th hand and a bit rubbish to start with.  My new shed is stronger and screwed into 4 heavy duty fence posts sunk into the ground.  So far so good....

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:50 »
maybe put some low hedging around the allotment to act like a wind breaker?...or go the whole hog and ask the allotment owners to put some fruit tree's around the outside off the entire plots so you have fruit bearing windbreakers!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23 »
our greenhouse at work (8 x 6) blew over every time we had strong winds, even tho it was well bolted down onto 2 x 4 concrete flags. In the end, we drove metal stakes deep into the ground on each corner and tied the greenhouse down with ropes thrown diagonally across the roof. Didn't look too pretty but no more problems.  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11 »
Aelf: is that a greenhouse or a polytunnel? (I would have thought that a greenhouse could only blow over once before making its final trip to the tip!)  :unsure:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 13:59 »
Aelf: is that a greenhouse or a polytunnel? (I would have thought that a greenhouse could only blow over once before making its final trip to the tip!)  :unsure:

It's a greenhouse! We put a lot of reinforcing into the frame when it was built and it's glazed with polycarbon sheets. One gale bowled the whole thing over onto it's roof, that's when we bolted it down to the flagstones. the next gale twisted the frame so we twisted it back and guyed it down with ropes and spikes. The garden is a bit of a wind-tunnel but, so far, it has survived the last couple of gales, apart from the occasional polycarb sheet popping out (usually found in next door's garden under a bush  :) )

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 15:55 »
For better sleep at night, you might want to also boost the security by attaching strong wires to the windward side of the shed or greenhouse and deeply pegging them a few feet beyond the base. Also doing it to the leeward side helps. Its how big towers are held in place from blowing about and an exposed site could benefit from this.

If you can't peg them in well enough, tie the wire to a very large buried rock. If buried, the wind can't shift it and toss it through the glass or siding.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 17:12 »
I poured a concrete base at about 4" deep and about 12" wide around where I was going to erect the greenhouse and then secured the metal base by driving hooked steel rods to pin the metal base into the wet concrete. I live in a very exposed part of Cumbria and the greenhouse is as good and stable now as when I erected it in 1983. (It was a cheap 6ft x 8ft aluminium framed job with glass rather than polycarbonate panes by the way)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 18:33 »
You could also reduce the wind speed by erecting a 'fence' of debris netting a little away from the greenhouse, on the prevailing wind side.

A bit of shade in the heat of the summer (haha) is no bad thing either
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

westglenn

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 17:32 »
Suggestions above for sleepers is similar to what I did.

Have you also thought about creating a willow fence from thin tree branches? It doesn't need to be very tall, about 3ft.

The fence should take the brunt of the wind.  As it is a porous fence, it has holes in it, it will slow down the wind as it goes through but it will also act to raise the wind up above the greenhouse.

I have also hidden my greenhouse behind my plot neighbours greenhouse, which also act as a wind break.

Tom_Good

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 23:26 »
Concrete block footings at least 2 high/ wide - make sure you screw the greenhouse base into them (with any half decent rawl plugs). Cement the blocks together for an epic win and a convincingly low center of gravity. If you can do it in a useful way - make a windbreak at the windiest end (or one of the windiest ends) - a shed, compost bins, water butts or just some storage.

I have a very windy plot & there's quite a few ways around it even if you are limited where you can put the greenhouse if you don't rush into it.

Please disregard my advice if you live on a cliff edge and are at risk of having to suddenly learn how to sail a greehnouse.

xx
What to sit greehouse on

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 19:40
by Lardman
xx
first allotment offered - no fencing/walls so its currently a flytip site.....

Started by Midnight Tboy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:00
by Midnight Tboy
xx
Greehouse Staging

Started by black diamond on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 01:23
by SkipRat
xx
diy compost bin site

Started by agapanthus on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 14:44
by daveinmanc

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.