Greenhouse floor

• 11 Replies

Elaine G

Greenhouse floor
« on: November 22, 2010, 21:28 »
I have ordered a greenhouse, and am getting someone to build a small wall for it to stand on.
I had intended to put paving slabs inside, laid on sand so the drainage was good, but the builder says this will not work as the slabs will sink and become uneven.
He wants to lay them on mortar and put gravel around the edge for darinage.
Is this a good compromise, or is there a better way?
Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

EddieJ

Re: Greenhouse floor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 21:37 »
I can see the builders point, in that he is probably trying to do the best job that he can with no come backs or complaints.

Which ever method is used, you still require a decent sub base, be it concrete, stone or hardcore. There is no reason that slabs laid on screeded sand over a compacted base would ever move, but we all have our own ideas of what is right or wrong.

If it were me doing the work, I always go OTT and would dig out, concrete and lay the slabs on a mortar bed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 21:40 by EddieJ »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 13:39 »
I would use bricks with holes in and set them on their sides so you get maximum ventilation and airflow through the greenhouse.  It is damp and moisture that brings mildews etc, not lack of heat.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 13:47 »
I would use bricks with holes in and set them on their sides so you get maximum ventilation and airflow through the greenhouse.  It is damp and moisture that brings mildews etc, not lack of heat.   Cheers,   Tony.

If you do this you will also get maximum slugs and pests even mice as there will be easy access.

I would put the slabs on sand as you intended as slabs on spots of mortar will also leave voids that can also fill up with unwanted pests.

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 14:11 »
major advantage of slabs on sand is that if/when you rethink the arrangement you can heave the slabs up and move the sand out or around with a shovel.  Mortar kind of commits you to a permanent layout.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

savbo

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:04 »
if the slabs do tilt it's easy enough lifting and popping a bit more sand under...I'd go for the flexibility

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 14:20 »
I think slabs on sand would be fine (it's not as if you will be parking a car on them!)

Quite like the border of gravel idea (mine has a solid concrete floor and shows up every single bit of seepage round the base and frame.)  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 14:28 »
I have slabs on sand and the borders are polythene lined trenches full of sharp sand to take bottomless buckets for the tomatoes.
 Water the trench and feed the buckets, AKA ring culture.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 14:46 »
I have bare earth inside mine, the path is hard and compacted with use and I can plant in the borders when I want to. No problem............

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 05:40 »
Bare earth in mine as well. I did throw a bit of old plywood on the floor just to keep my shoes a tad cleaner.
Had no problems with it in the last 5 years. :)

Elaine G

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 19:22 »
Thank you all for your advice.
I have agreed the builder can use morter, but have told him that I want the option of lifting the slabs on one side at a later date.
At the moment I have a home, job and elderly mother to occupy me, so I need it to be clean enough to go in there in the morning in smarter clothes. But counting the years now to retirement :lol:

Elaine

EddieJ

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 22:13 »
I'm sure that it will be fine.  :)

xx
greenhouse floor

Started by smellykipper on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 06:37
by smellykipper
xx
Greenhouse Floor

Started by stevet on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 23:31
by hubballi
xx
concrete floor in greenhouse

Started by tallulah on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 17:48
by tallulah
xx
Chalk for path and greenhouse floor

Started by jrko on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 13:07
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 40 queries.