Chalk for path and greenhouse floor

• 2 Replies

jrko

Chalk for path and greenhouse floor
« on: October 13, 2013, 13:45 »
I can lay my hands on huge quantities of chalk and I was wondering if it might be useful.

I will be building a central path and a lean to greenhouse both of which need some form of hard standing material on the cheap - or free ideally

I've seen chalk used in cattle sheds, all be it heavily compacted, so it can withstand abuse & load. It is also water permeable.

I thought for the greenhouse it would reflect light and as a solid mass have some thermal storage properties as well.

Any thoughts?
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chalk for path and greenhouse floor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:24 »
Assuming it is chalk (calcium carbonate) rather than gypsum (calcium sulphate) it will have the same effect as lime wherever it is used - this presumably is not a problem where it won't regularly get wet or is not used next to the soil you are growing in (some of the dissolved lime would leach sideways as well as downwards unless a barrier was also installed.)

That's just the chemical "stuff" - I've not used it for paths but I would imagine that it could stick to your boots more readily than other more common alternatives.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

Re: Chalk for path and greenhouse floor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 13:07 »
If the chalk gets wet and freezes it is not a good path surface and in summer it can get very dusty.
Many years on Hampshire building sites have taught me a lot about chalk! :)

xx
greenhouse floor

Started by smellykipper on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 06:37
by smellykipper
xx
Greenhouse Floor

Started by stevet on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 23:31
by hubballi
xx
Greenhouse floor

Started by Elaine G on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 22:13
by EddieJ
xx
concrete floor in greenhouse

Started by tallulah on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 17:48
by tallulah

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 37 queries.