When to pick Asparagus

• 12 Replies

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
When to pick Asparagus
« on: March 31, 2011, 13:44 »
Last spring I planted 10 2 year old crowns on my plot. I left them alone last summer to get established so this year I'm expecting to be able to make a modest harvest. This week I have seen the first spear emerging (yay!) Now I know I should only pick a few from each crown every week, but was unsure if I should pick as they come up, or wait for a few to come up from the same crown first? I don't want to weakend the plants by picking the first spear! I also know that if you don't pick them the plant will not send up as many shoots, what's your advice?

Goosegirl

Re: When to pick Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 17:46 »
I'd like to know too, as this is my first year of harvesting them. I restrained myself wit tree-ties from picking them last year in their second season so I'm ready-to-go..!! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 18:02 »
The worst thing you can do is find out too late you have just picked the last spear the poor plant has the strength to produce (they don't actually grow shoots for our enjoyment much as we would like to think they do!)

Your plants are still very young but I think you should still aim for at least 6 spears left per plant to grow on into ferns to rebuild the plant's strength. How you do this is up to you; the obvious way is to start picking from number 7 onwards, but be ready to provide some support for the ferns because winds like we've had today could snap most of them off!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 18:05 »
Pick everything for the first three weeks.

Leave everything after that.

If you leave any at the start to grow they will stop producing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 18:12 »
Two answers, two choices!  ::)

If they are particularly vigorous you might get away with it but I think 3 weeks is a bit ambitious for the first year of harvesting (and yes, it was me who picked the last spear from an young plant which took another 3 years to properly recover.)  :(

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 19:32 »
Hmm not sure what to do now, I guess tentatively pick a few and watch and wait to see how they do!

Pompey Spud

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 19:38 »
Hi.
Been away for a bit but I wouldn't pick any this year.
Your patience will be rewarded with strong healthy crowns that will produce well for the future.
This is my 3rd year and hopefully 1st year of harvesting conservatively. I can't wait as I've been very patient.
Top dress with growmore would be handy.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 19:43 »
They are three year old crowns, and the local supplier told me it was fine to pick them this year. I'm vacating the plot after this year so would be a bit gutted to have put in all that work and not get any reward!

DSC01248_204x153.jpg

Pompey Spud

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 19:49 »
Go for it lol.
The myth is that 2 yr old crowns as well as being more expensive, will produce quicker and better.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 20:00 »
I'm vacating the plot after this year so would be a bit gutted to have put in all that work and not get any reward!

My understanding is that harvesting them will cause the plant to suffer in later years - If you're not going to be there to pick it anyway, who cares ! Pick the lot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 20:06 »
I'm vacating the plot after this year so would be a bit gutted to have put in all that work and not get any reward!

My understanding is that harvesting them will cause the plant to suffer in later years - If you're not going to be there to pick it anyway, who cares ! Pick the lot.

In that case I'd ignore my guilt feelings and eat the lot (the next tenant might not even like asparagus!)  :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 22:35 »
Its your work that put them there in the first place, so you have got to get something out of it. Eat the lot guilt free!!
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 13:34 »
That is a very good point that I hadn't even thought of! ...BUT OMG I skipped down to the plot with my brand new asparagus knife (birthday pressie) with my 2 year old daughter (who I'd trained to say 'asparagus yummy' all the way), only to find about 3 spears nibbled off at ground level! I wanted to cry. I swiftly covered the area with a makeshift wood/net barrier and sulked back home again. Just hoping it wasn't slugs, it looked nibbled by teeth/beak rather that the soft edges you get from slugs.  :ohmy:

xx
How long to pick asparagus?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 18:02
by Salmo
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
How do I know when to pick PSB??

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 15:43
by ParsnipPete
xx
When to pick?

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 21:39
by DD.

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 29 queries.