When do I pick my veg

• 5 Replies

Charlie79

When do I pick my veg
« on: August 05, 2009, 15:20 »
Hello
This is my first year at growing veg...everything seems to be coming along nicely...but I think I'm leaving it too long to pick the veg. My marrow fat peas are very bitter when freshly picked...is there any way of saving them and also my brocolli seems to be flowering...I have I left it too long? :unsure:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: When do I pick my veg
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 18:06 »
Hi Charlie, and welcome - hope you dont mind that I moved your post -you'll get more answers here.

Broccolli has 'bolted' i.e. gone to seed. Im afraid they are gonners.  In most cases broccolli doesnt grow as large on plots as you can find in the supermarket, so its a matter of picking earlier.  They can also bolt due to stress - little water, ground not firm enough, transplanting badly etc

Despite my name I cant help you with the peas as I dont like marrowfat(!), but it does sound like you have left them on too long
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 20:39 »
Ohhh I didnt know you could grow marrowfat peas! Where do you buy them?

Charlie79

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 22:50 »
I got my marrowfat seeds from the marshalls catalogue and I think it might be on line as well :D

Charlie79

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 10:41 »
I've removed my brocolli fingers crossed my next lot will be better and get eaten

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 13:08 »
I've removed my brocolli fingers crossed my next lot will be better and get eaten

Sorry if its a bit late, but can I recommend just cuttnig off the heads that have flowered (assuming the whole plant hasnt been flowering for ages).  And then just keep an eye out for new side heads that are delicious (make sure you cut off a good bit of stem and greenery - like purple sprouting).

I was shocked to be harvesting mine at the beginning of July (packet said August, and Im in Scotland!).  But I noticed that some of the heads were disipating and getting ready to flower.  Off around 8 closely planted plants, we've been eating brocoli all month.  Only now jut cleared the ground.  Next stop, beans off the munty  8)

xx
How do I know when to pick PSB??

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 15:43
by ParsnipPete
xx
When to pick?

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 21:39
by DD.
xx
When to pick pears?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:35
by sunshineband
xx
when to pick iceberg.

Started by gembob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 17:27
by Salmo

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 38 queries.