Not looking good at all.

• 8 Replies

Lardman

Not looking good at all.
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:35 »
Rusty stunted Garlic , mouldy strawbs and I have no idea what's up with the currants.  :unsure: not that it really matters as the birds have already stripped most of the fruit.

I put some climbing French beans in yesterday - I'm determined to get something to grow properly this year !
garlic.jpg
strawbs.jpg
currant.jpg
currantb.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Not looking good at all.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:57 »
I hope that you'll find, as I did, that underneath all the nasty, rusty, foliage you have large cloved garlic bulbs ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:01 »
I feel your pain Lardman, I ended up trimming off the leaves as they were so hideous (and starting to develop a black mould to boot too!), I did clear away soil around a couple that looked like they had nice thick stems, but the bulbs haven't yet bulked up much at all - I suspect they haven't started splitting into cloves as MoS's have. 

My strawberries are getting hit hard by slugs so I will visit this afternoon and put down some pellets.  I also had a lovely courgette plant which had two baby fruits completely chopped at the stem by slugs.

Very depressing.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:49 »
and I have no idea what's up with the currants.  :unsure:

One of my red / white currants started to do the same (only a few leaves) and I had to look it up.  Apparently it is currant blister aphid

My garlic are very rusty too  :( but in the past the bulb generally has been unaffected so I've got my fingers crossed and counting the weeks/days until ready to lift.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 13:52 »
I hope that you'll find, as I did, that underneath all the nasty, rusty, foliage you have large cloved garlic bulbs ;)

Conversely, my garlic plants have beautifully strong and healthy foliage, but when I dig round the base with my finger there's very little in the way of bulb down there and no sign of clove division :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 13:57 »
Yours may ripen later, mine are Early Purple Wight so should be ready now ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 14:32 »
and I have no idea what's up with the currants.  :unsure:

One of my red / white currants started to do the same (only a few leaves) and I had to look it up.  Apparently it is currant blister aphid

My currants also have this.  They haven't produced much fruit this year - they were loaded last year, but the birds got the berries before they even ripened, this year we netted a lot earlier - for no reason as it now transpires! Oh well, next year it is then!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 14:47 »
Yours may ripen later, mine are Early Purple Wight so should be ready now ;)

I've got 3 lots growing, Marco, Iberian Wight and Thermidrome. Last year I lifted the Marco on 1st July, though Iberian Wight took a week or two longer. I've no idea how long Thermidrome takes cos I've never grown them before. They're the biggest and strongest plants of the three.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 16:14 »

Thanks for the link, it doesn't seem to be a significant problem to the plant, at least that's good news.

I doubt it MoS - above ground they're half the size they usually are (its music hardneck) and around this point in the year is when I start to see the A.L.M. damage.

I might need to have a rethink for next year.

xx
these any good

Started by jjbull on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 19:42
by Duracell
clip
If it's good enough for Kew ...

Started by Barry C on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 21:19
by Barry C
xx
Good day!

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 17:55
by Trillium
xx
is this any good?

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 10:26
by kezlou

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 40 queries.