If it's good enough for Kew ...

• 4 Replies

Barry C

• Experienced Member
If it's good enough for Kew ...
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:08 »
Airpots ....  :lol:

Been thinking for a while and wanted to improve on pots and grow bags in the greenhouse. Did a fair bit of looking around some of the local allotments where some of the guys 'grow for show' and I came across airpots.

So bit the bullet and thought I'd give them a go, Kew Gardens use loads of them (hence the title) Ordered yesterday morning, delivered by 9.30am a flat pack of airpots.

Very easy to assemble and will replace a number of increasingly fragile pots in the greenhouse, I got a mixture of sizes to try, 6 - 10 - 15 litre pots. Not cheap, but should last a lot longer, so not much more expensive than buying large pots.

Going to be interesting trying them out  :D
unknown (1).jpg
unknown.jpg

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: If it's good enough for Kew ...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:30 »
I shall watch your progress and results with interest. Please keep us informed  :D
Be interesting to see what the water retention is like!
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55 »
Tried some chillies in air pots and fabric pots last year. Not sure the air pots made much difference but there appeared to be stronger growth in the fabric ones. I'm intending to conduct a (slightly) more rigorous experiment this year with a plant of the same variety in each type of pot. One drawback with the air pots is when watering the water tends to run out of the holes unless you go very very slowly (I'm going to insert a dip pipe this year to hopefully help).

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:56 »
I shall watch your progress and results with interest. Please keep us informed  :D
Be interesting to see what the water retention is like!

One of the reasons for trying them, while we were away last year helpful neighbour drowned everything, even the tomatoes that were on drip irrigation  :(

Will try and keep an update going  ;)

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 21:19 »
Latest addition, got some more bits and bobs for sorting out drip irrigation, increased the size of the header tank and moved it so it's a bit higher, pressure is better. Instead of one line of drippers in a row there are going to be two dripper heads on each spur, far more efficient.

Once tomatoes are potted up (a while yet) and irrigation sorted will put on some pics  ;)

xx
What a good day...

Started by littlemisssunshine on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 08:46
by crowndale
xx
A good day.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:06
by debbiedoll
xx
Not looking good at all.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 16:14
by Lardman
xx
these any good

Started by jjbull on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 19:42
by Duracell

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.