Greenhouse base.

• 11 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Greenhouse base.
« on: April 29, 2012, 19:04 »
I will be getting a greenhouse next weekend and was wondering what I should stand it on. The ground is bare dirt at the moment. I have some very substantial fence posts the I could use to fix the greenhouse to, would that be ok?

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Re: Greenhouse base.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 19:12 »
What size are the posts JaK?
Infact what size Greenhouse is it?
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 19:17 »
They are 4x2 I think, quite weighty. The greenhouse is 6x8  :D Only went shopping for a 6x4 but this one was on offer (ex display). I'm quite excited about it!  :lol:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 18:40 »
Anyone?  :wub:

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 19:31 »
Sorry for the delay. For posts the bigger the better but the size you want to use should be OK. It does help if you peg both your base and Greenhouse to the ground for better stabillity.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 19:47 »
Just make sure the base is level and well fixed down. I put down a 5" concrete base and bolted the greenhouse base on to that.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 22:06 »
Thank you. I can't put concrete down due to the cost and that it can't be perminant. May well be able to drive some posts into the ground to anchor the base to though.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 14:12 »
I would use breeze blocks (aerated blocks). Level them out with a spirit level and piece of long wood. Concrete inbetween them then fix the base to the breeze blocks. Or you could lay the fence posts down level them and attach the greenhouse base to the horizontal fence posts. Then hammer stakes into the ground and screw the stakes into the fence posts.

Hope that helps :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46 »
Mine is on breeze blocks and it's been up for donkeys years. The blocks are a bit degraded and some of the mortar had fallen out so I gave them a bit of a tidy up last year and pointed them up, to stop mice getting in mostly  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 13:29 »
I have just bought a second hand 8 x 6 greenhouse and am hoping to put it on a base of 4" x 4" timber posts.  The garden is on clay and sloping so I am hoping that the timber will be easier to level.

Hope that you have got your base sorted JaK.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31 »
I have just bought a second hand 8 x 6 greenhouse and am hoping to put it on a base of 4" x 4" timber posts.  The garden is on clay and sloping so I am hoping that the timber will be easier to level.

Hope that you have got your base sorted JaK.   :)

We will have to go with the timber too. Collecting the greenhouse on Saturday so It may not be put up until Sunday. Fingers crossed we can do it!  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 13:15 »
Ours is already up, that is how we bought it rather than taking it to pieces and not being able to put it back together.  We have it stood in our neighbours garden at the moment until we can decide where to put it.  It will have to wait in line with hubby building a walk in run for the hens.   ::) :lol:

Good luck with your instruction manual and fingers crossed for a dry and wind free weekend for you.   ;)

xx
greenhouse base, what to do?

Started by utigers on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 16:08
by RichardA
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 15:12
by arugula
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by Uzzy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 20:33
by jezza
xx
Base For Greenhouse?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 22:08
by Pimento

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 39 queries.