More Computer Advice Please

• 30 Replies

Lardman

Re: More Computer Advice Please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 19:38 »
He groaned and said, when I rebooted it has taken everything out - back to the day it was installed

It doesn't do that. What instructions did you follow, they weren't perhaps ones to refresh or reset windows 10 instead of rebooting where they.  ::) as the first google result on "windows 10 reboot" shows the reset procedure.

For the record, you should never need to press and hold the power button unless the system has locked up and the keyboard, mouse pointer wont respond.  Rebooting, or closing the lid isn't the same as a shutdown the system does different tasks depending on which you do, but both are available from the start bar or that silly chimes thing on the right hand side.

Just as an after thought - why not ask Len to set up 2 accounts for you, a standard user account and an account with administrator rights. If all you're doing is web & email and the odd document you don't need admin rights and it would prevent any more nasty accidents.  ;) .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 19:52 by Lardman »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 14:45 »
This is what I did:
Navigate to settings - Select update and security - click recover in the L pane - click get started under Reset this PC - Click "keep my File "

But the best bit is that the Local F Disk Sign is still there.

Les did say about linking up, but I do quite alot of banking etc on laptop, and I am very naughty becase I nly use 1 or 2 passwords.    I know, I know.  Although, one of my banks, my voice is my recognition.

If it wasn't through isolation because of severe deafness etc, I feel like chucking the whole lt away  :D
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 15:22 »
Navigate to settings - Select update and security - click recover in the L pane - click get started under Reset this PC - Click "keep my File "

You've reset windows 10 back to it's default state, whilst it will have kept your documents it removes your settings and applications as you've seen. It's something you should only need to do if your computer stops working properly - why Microsoft made it so easy for the user to do I will never know. 

Most professional support is done remotely, if I go out onsite now it's usually because the customers internet is down, the cleaner has unplugged something or I want a cup of coffee I haven't had to make myself. Don't be too hard on Les it's standard practice, how it's implemented is more important. You either trust him or don't, it shouldn't matter if he's sitting in front of the machine or at home with his feet up.

If one of my customers had called with your F drive issue, I'd have remotely connected and sorted it free of charge before they'd have had time to boil the kettle.  If id have had to put a shirt and tie on, drive out to them, find parking,  be pleasant and make small talk for 15 minutes then fix the problem and drive back they'd be getting an invoice to cover my hassle  ;)

Don't feel too bad about wanting to bin the laptop, I've thrown many a mouse against the wall in frustration over the years and I simply refuse to play nicely with Windows 10.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 15:43 »
Even the simplest electronic gadget is now needlessly complicated Mrs. B. (not because they really need to be but because designers feel duty bound to dream up new 'tricks' to make their version unique and therefore a 'must buy.')

It's unfortunate that the word 'reset' is sometimes used as if was the same thing as 'reboot', which as Lardman has pointed out is not the case. Forcing a shut down by holding down the power button is definitely something you should only do if the normal methods of shutting down or rebooting don't work for some reason.

Perhaps an Android tablet might be worth considering if you mainly use your laptop for surfing the internet  - I'm not saying the Android operating system is either perfect or bulletproof, but in my experience it minds its own business and looks after itself with less fuss than Windows 10 appears to in certain circumstances.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 18:49 »
I was going to suggest an iPad, so easy to use only once had an issue with mine & that was about 5 weeks ago, then I used hubby’s MacBook to ask Apple web site what to do, & I sorted it, so must be simple. I do all my banking etc on it. Hubby hates it though
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 19:11 »
I have got an Apple I-pad.  My Son bought it for me to keep in touch with Grandchildren and do facetime.
I send them a note every single weekend, but never get any replies.  It hurts - so now I don't look at it.
But I guess that's silly.  I have done a little bit on it, but I am not very au fait, and there isn't an instruction book.  Mind you I probably wouldn't understand it anyway  :lol: :lol: 
I do trust Les, but he has 2 teenage children etc etc, and if anything went wrong I wouldn't like him to be compromised.   Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 21:35 »
You can go to an Apple shop & they will show you how to use it😊

mrs bouquet

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 14:42 »
This morning I found my nearest Apple Shop, It is in Brighton.  So I rang their number I got a computer voice asking me to this, that and something else.  Eventually I got an assistant and said I wanted to send out an email from my Ipad, gave him the model A1430, but it was very difficult to understand him as he had a very strong foreign accent.   He kept telling me to press a button, which I don't appear to have, so I just said politely thank you and gave up.

Then I went to Curry's when the two male assistants (wearing their "here to help" badges)  had finished their natter.  I said, Can I send an email from my Apple I-pad.  He replied,  you can sign in for a tutorial which costs £20 for about 20 minutes.  I said, ok.  and left

Perhaps either me or the I-pad is not sufficiently tuned in  :D :D  Not for wont of me trying though. Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 15:10 »
Can yu giggle that and see if there's a way to do it?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 16:54 »
Ok, so have you an icon on the home screen that looks like an envelope?
Click on it.
To the right at the top is what looks like a pencil on a square of paper
Click on it & tadaa you can write your email
Type in the recipients email address
Then type in under subject, a word to describe the content of your email
Then click below there & type the main body of text
Click send & off it goes. Send only becomes possible once you have an address in & some text.
To the left side there is a list of
Inbox
Sent,
Junk & so on ,you can edit your received emails & put them in those’folders or create new folders titled what ever you want but we’ll save that for another day xx

mrs bouquet

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 17:05 »
Oh er, I think I might have done it, waiting for confirmation back from a friend.  Mind you, she never looks at her's until bedtime  :D    I'll let you know.

Thank you for putting it in such easy speak.   very best regards Mrs Bouquet x

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 19:47 »
Mrs B, if you have a tesco near you  they do a bluetooth mouse  about £4 / 5. two parts one part you plug into a usb port let the computer find the mouse and away you go, works a treat fool proof, not that im saying you are a fool not at all,we have three of them one of my better buys,,
Colin

grinling

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 20:53 »
sent a PM

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 22:06 »
Hi grinling, is it me you sent a pm to if it is no pm has turned up,,,

mrs bouquet

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 11:49 »
OK, Guys and Girls.   Everything has been restored and is back to normal.

So can I thank you all very much for your help and advice,  Kindest regards to all.  Mrs Bouquet

xx
Computer Advice AGAIN, please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2018, 13:44
by mrs bouquet
xx
Computer Cookies

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 16:22
by mrs bouquet
xx
computer problem

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2017, 09:51
by azubah
xx
computer reliance

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2020, 11:59
by al78

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 54 queries.