Selling houses and a change in the Law

• 17 Replies

mrs bouquet

Selling houses and a change in the Law
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:01 »
On Monday a 'phone call, here is your contract to be signed ready for exchange on Friday - Oh and the move date is 14th June - Panic, get the house finally cleared, unplumb washing machine/dryer, un-wire cooker- new people don't want them.  So arranged British Heart Foundation for Monday next to clear, got man to do cooker and washing machine.  etc etc, Newbies pop by on Wednesday, complete with tape measure again.
Yesterday.  They have decided not to go ahead after all. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  So now it goes back on the market, completely empty of anything except carpets and curtains.
I understand from Scottish friends, that in Scotland, after making an offer, a change of mind results in being heavily penalised.  Perhaps, this law should be applied in England and prevent time waster, expense, and the complete hard-work and frustration involved.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

madcat

Re: Selling houses and a change in the Law
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:14 »
Deepest sympathies.  I remember this from when we sold our house and my parents were selling theirs at the same time...  You just didn't know what to do for the best sometimes. Rant and Scream, but I didnt even have the energy left for that.  I got to the stage when I refused to do anything until I had ink on paper and money behind it - on any of the houses - those being sold and the one being bought.

The Scottish system is good for sellers without a chain but can be hard on buyers ... And I do have to remember that I once walked away from exchange of contracts when on the day we were due to sign, a hostile bid for the company I worked for was announced on the radio as I drove to work.  If they won, my job was at best half a country away and at worst toast.  :( And without my income ... no go.  That was a rough old day.  A year later with a redundancy payment in pocket, we went back and bought the house.  So there was a happy ending after all for us, but the seller had had another year in a house she didn't want.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:55 »
I know where you are coming from me dear.

We have mams eld house up now, we had a buyer, contracts done etc only to find an issue with probate which was going to take an extra 5 dyas to sort but no problem. Buyers happy no probs when they were advised. Next day we get the phone call to say they had walked :mad: :mad: :mad:

For once our neighbours have a far better system than we have here.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19 »
You have every sympathy, and yes, the law should be changed. My son's house went on the market and was "sold" twice before the third, and final buyer actually completed. 
If it works in Scotland, then there is no reason why the same laws cannot be applied in England. Too many people make what turn out to be frivolous offers on properties without completing, and not only do they cost the seller time and money, but they could also lose you a genuine buyer.  I know that sometimes people's circumstances can change, making it impossible to go ahead, but this is often not the case, and a heavy penalty would concentrate the minds of those who seem not to take the business seriously enough.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35 »
It can certainly be a challenging time to say the least, we had a cash buyer for ours a few years back, came back negotiated for some of the furniture etc, kids chose bedrooms etc, we started to pack up then when pushed for proof of funds they just disappeared at least he did. We eventually took the house of the market as I was unwell & couldn’t cope with it anymore, let alone choose a new place to live in. I do sometimes wonder if it suits surveyors & solicitors as they can get paid over & over again for doing the same work.
Having said that in the last few years we have sold both my late mums & mother in laws places without much of a hitch, although in both cases we put them on the market 30 or 40,000 more than the estate agents suggested & got very close to the asking price, so it would appear we had done our research more thoroughly than the estate agents!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:59 »
MB and Snows. My friend had a very similar problem when selling her late mum's house. I don't know how many times it fell through including someone who couldn't raise the cash (???). They refused to drop the price which the estate agent wanted them to do who got rather sniffy when they refused, but they stuck to their guns and it was finally sold at a fair price.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 13:13 »
Clarifying Scottish Law
Until an offer is made and accepted in writing the buyer can pull out, emails don't count. Solicitor to solicitor.
I know this as hubby has just sold brother's house (brother emigrated years ago) "sold" last year, but buyer wanted to knock off a further £15000 after we had already reduced the price. Nothing legal so we told him no.
Luckily someone wanted it, complete rip out and redo place and that completed a few weeks back.
If someone pulls out after exchanging (paying a deposit) then they forfeit the deposit and possibly further costs.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 14:30 »
what does it feel like to have a nervous breakdown ?  Am I having one ?  I can't sleep, I don't want to go, or speak to anybody face to face.  I don't know what I am doing, I am just wandering about and my memory's gone.  Sister came up today, other than criticise, she really wasn't a lot of help.  But she hasn't been here at all since my Mum died in January.  She did ask the Estate Agent, is this was going her cost more for an abortive sale.
Now I have just eaten 3 scones and jam - oh dear.   HELP - Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 15:41 »
what does it feel like to have a nervous breakdown ?  Am I having one ?  I can't sleep, I don't want to go, or speak to anybody face to face.  I don't know what I am doing, I am just wandering about and my memory's gone.  Sister came up today, other than criticise, she really wasn't a lot of help.  But she hasn't been here at all since my Mum died in January.  She did ask the Estate Agent, is this was going her cost more for an abortive sale.
Now I have just eaten 3 scones and jam - oh dear.   HELP - Mrs Bouquet

Mrs BQ, sounds like you are very stressed, might be worth visiting gp in the first instance. Write down what is going on house, driving with dementia etc on 1 list to help clarify your thoughts, then how you are feeling on another. Perhaps write or email your sister & anyone else who are involved or are an interested party in sale of your mums house & get them involved in what there is to do before you become ill.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 15:49 »
Now what to do, when the man disconnected the cooker an washer, I said leave them out now, as they are going to British Heart on Monday.  So they are pulled out across the kitchen.   New viewers are coming tomorrow at 10.30, should I try and push them back, so it looks better, or let the agent explain they are going on Monday.  Not sure, if I can move them though - your thought please Mrs B

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 17:00 »
I'd leave them where they are, you don't want to hurt yourself - you never know they might even ask you to leave them  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 14:04 »
I'd leave them where they are too and explain your problem to the viewers. It may even help them to see what (if any) alterations to your kitchen they could do. Don't try moving them as they will be very heavy! When you get stressed everything seems very negative. My OH's motto which he often says to me when I get uptight about something is this: "there's nothing that can't be sorted out" and actually he's quite right so it's not worth making yourself ill over it. So you had 3 scones and jam - so what? If you enjoyed them, good for you, and stop beating yourself up over things that you have no control over including your sister's actions or GG will give you a good slap!  :nowink:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 17:20 »
Furniture all gets cleared tomorrow - so end of.  Saturdays viewers didn,t turn up.  But I know it is now out of my hands ( and hopefully sister will disappear again)  See my sense of humour is coming back - oooooohhh I could do with a good gentle slapping  :lol: :lol: :lol:Anyway guys you have all been so supportive, and I do thank you.   I shall keep you posted, when there's some good news, regards  Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 20:49 »
Families huh, I feel your pain. At least now or tomorrow when it’s all been cleared  it will all be ready to go when it sells, good luck that it all gets sorted very soon.

grinling

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:55 »
Go and see the estate agents and ask why the viewers did not come? Also ask feedback given by viewers.
If you and your sister are joint executers then she should be helping with the sale of the house. Hubby's brother was the administrator of their fathers estate, but it was hubby who sold the house as Ian had gone to Peru! It sold because I insisted on updating the look.
It is still early in the season, but you could post a link up here and we could view.

xx
selling houses (or not !)

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2018, 20:15
by rowlandwells
xx
When did they change that ?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 07, 2023, 06:35
by Growster...
xx
Lifestyle change

Started by davethespread on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 11, 2023, 08:41
by Goosegirl
xx
Selling our home.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 12:35
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 55 queries.