Spoke to environmental health this morning...

• 12 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Spoke to environmental health this morning...
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:59 »
...And they have said its fine to me to have chickens in my garden! :D

The man was really nice - gave me loads of advice about checking out the defra website (which I'd already done), potential problems (vermin etc) and did say that with avian flu they needed to be aware of chicken owners so that if an outbreak were to occur they could get in touch and pass on any relevant information. So, once I decide to get them they want me to let them know.

He even gave me details of a local market - Chelford Market - where they sell chickens!

Have now looked at my finances to see if I can actually afford all the set up costs and...it seems I can! So, so excited!!! I hope I can ask a lot of dumb ass questions because although I half have looked in to it, it was only pie-in-the-sky thinking...now its serious! :happy:

newhen

• my hens
Re: Spoke to environmental health this morning...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15 »
great news, I keep meaning to go and see chelford market.  What type of hens are you looking for?
2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36 »
please be careful when buying from a market, one of my friends bought a dozen supposedly hens and they all turned out to be cockerels  ;)  :lol: not all sellers are this unscrupulous though  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 15:01 »
please be careful when buying from a market, one of my friends bought a dozen supposedly hens and they all turned out to be cockerels  ;)  :lol: not all sellers are this unscrupulous though  :)

Nooo! That's not what you want! :nowink: Yeah have to say the idea of going to a market scares me a bit - like do I have to bid on the birds I want in an auction? I wouldn't have a clue what to do!

great news, I keep meaning to go and see chelford market.  What type of hens are you looking for?

Nothing fancy to be honest! A friend has told me today that a local garden centre has some point of lay Warrens so I might go and have a look at them... Have looked for breeders in the local area and have so far drawn a blank - hence the chap earlier suggesting the market.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 15:06 »
Our local garden centre sell hybrid chickens for ridiculous prices, i.e. £29.95 each!  so watch out!!  look in our poultry pages for local suppliers near to your area!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 15:46 »
She said these were *around* £15 each - is that a good price? Told you - dumb ass question already! Its different from buying pet rats then where breeders are more expensive than buying the animals in a shop!!

Here are some more...
Once I get the house/run I was planning in digging down and putting chicken wire underneath the run to stop foxes as much as poss - I understand that even though I am in an urban area I can't be complacent. Then I was planning on putting weed fabric on top of the wire and then putting wood chip (not bark!) as a substrate as the pen will have to be permanent. Does that sound reasonable?

I am allergic to straw and hay (though I have read hay is not good for chickens anyway) so as a substrate for the house I was going to use woodshavings. Do the nest boxes need to have something different in them so that the chickens know to lay in there? People on here have mentioned aubiose - if that is better, is it easily obtainable and, if so, where from?

I understand that layers pellets are a usual chicken feed and my local P@H has just started stocking them. They don't as far as I'm aware have grit or oyster shell - where do I get these from?!

Also people mention trying to treat the house for red mite with poultry shield or diaton - again are these easy to get hold of?

Dust baths - I was planning on getting a deep cat litter tray for this - will that work and what do I fill it with?

I have lots of unfilled planters in my garden where I would like them to have some free range time, my understanding that chickens like to demolish plants, so is there any plants that you can reccomend me putting in them...either in terms of durability against the chickens or conversely any plants that they would like to eat that are good for them?!

Thank you for any help!

madcat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 15:53 »
I used to live near Chelford market - it is a fascinating place, but you do need to go a few times first (leaving your purse locked firmly in the car) to get the hang of how it works.  Folk are friendly - but it is a commercial market, so very quick and professional.  Blink and you have missed it.  If you go on Thurs night, there aren't any (live) chickens to tempt you, but you can see the process.

From the reports on the site, last weeks Prices were Silkies £22; Goslings £10; Polish £16; Wynadottes £10; Vorwerk £24; Choc Orp £55  If you get chance, do read the market reports, they are a real insight into the prices paid to farmers and how it all works.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 16:24 »
I use hemcore in my coups and nest boxes - this is very absorbant and also citronella scented (good for keeping flies away). I buy my poultry shield off the internet and also my diatom. I buy Flubenvet wormer from my vets along with frontline spray for mites and lice (this is not tested on poultry so I have to sign a disclaimer at the vets). Layers is their main feed (shop around and you should find lots of places that sell them and to get a good price), I buy organic and paid £15.99 a sack on Saturday but on the way home found a place selling the same brand for £13.99 so will be going there in future. Ordinary layers (just as good but not organic) should be around the £6 - 8 a sack. Mixed corn for their afternoon treat should be about the same price. A shop selling horse equipment and feed usually sell chicken food. From a horse place you can also get purple spray (for disguising any blood and as an antiseptic) and apple cider vinegar for putting in their water. If using this then don't use a metal drinks container but a plastic one. Hope this helps.
As for price to pay well I have had some given me (no good for showing but too nice to cull) from people who show, some given me by friends (4 appenzellers of Grannie Annie  :D and an araucana cockerel of here from Darcy Hen that needed a home) and others I have paid between £5 (donation for each rescue girl) and £30 for pure breeds.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 16:46 »
Yep that's all really useful! Thank you.

treacleminer

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 18:04 »
If you get hold of a copy of 'Practical Poultry' they have suppliers listed/advertised by area in the back.  It may be worth seeing if one of them is near you as on the whole they are experienced poultry breeders who should also be happy to help with questions/problems which you may not get from a garden centre.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 19:22 »
Aubiose and other highly absorbant bedding is also bought from anywhere that sells horse stuff ie country stores and tack shops. There are plenty around your area, google animal feed.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 20:22 »
Aubiose and other highly absorbant bedding is also bought from anywhere that sells horse stuff ie country stores and tack shops. There are plenty around your area, google animal feed.

Yep done it - there is a horse feed place really not far away. Going to check it out later in the week. I'm highly allergic to horses too so could be fun (yes I know no horses will be there, but sometimes my brain and nose don't get that!).

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 20:40 »
Rob**sons will deliver if you don't want to mix with horsey people covered in hair and stuff,but don't know if financially viable. Happy hunting!

xx
Environmental health coming!!!! Help

Started by PLecostrum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 03:02
by Lindeggs
xx
Health hazard?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 08, 2011, 18:42
by bygrace
xx
Advice on Hen Health....

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 20:12
by RICH_Chicken
xx
Do I need to let the Enviromental Health know?

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 17:35
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 40 queries.