The dog attacked my hen... help/advice

• 14 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
The dog attacked my hen... help/advice
« on: September 16, 2012, 20:16 »
My 3 month old silkie chicks decided to go for a wander today through to the neighbours fence and there dog has attacked it, she is in a real mess. Lots of skin showing and feathers missing. They (i have 4) havent been mixing with my other hens well, so I have put them in a seperate coop, so that she can have a quiet night. Im not sure if she will be alive in the morning, but if she is I will try and get her in the vets. If I cant any suggestions to what to do. Im a newbie chicken keeper and am worried about handling them too much, didnt want to scare her much more, after we eventually found her (she had been missing all day!)

Ive read something on here about porridge and warm water????

Thanks

themagicaltoad1

Re: The dog attacked my hen... help/advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 20:43 »
Sorry to hear about your hen. You need to keep her separate from the others as they will attack any hens that they see as injured or sick. Can you put her in a box inside for the night, somewhere quiet? Also if you have any purple spray to put on the wounds, it's an antiseptic. She will be in shock, don't try to handle her too much or keep peering in at her, leave her in peace as much as possible tonight. Let us know how she is in the morning.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 23:16 »
If you don't have wound powder of purple spray you can apply cornflour on the cuts which will help.  If she survives the night you can assess her wounds and clean with boiled and cooled water.  Then apply wound powder, purple spray or cornflour.  It is amazing how birds can survive from really bad cuts.  My quail have had their heads pecked right down to the flesh and a bit of purple spray, peace and quiet they have been as good as new.

The porridge is their normal feed (layers pellets, growers or chick crumb) made into a porridge with boiled water and allowed to cool.  That way they get food which is easier to eat and water to keep them hydrated.

Good luck.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46 »
Thanks, she seems ok thios morning, she is moving around her little run (with the other 3 silkies they havent come out either!) ive put some fresh water in, which they all dashed for. She looks awful though, I think because of her missing feathers you can see chunks of black.

Im calling the vet this morning and will try and pop her up, if not I will buy some purple spray.

Thanks all. I will keep you updated.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 19:51 »
The vet couldnt see her today but sold me some aluminium spray to cover any wounds. She has been alert most of the day, Ive just been to get her to clean her up and apply the spray, but she has more wounds than we thought, most of them are infected already with maggots :-(

We have brought her inside alone in a box as I dont want the other girls catching anything or risking leaving anything in the coop (good clean out tomorrow)

I dont think I can get rid of these maggots can I???? so will it be a trip to the neighbours tomorrow so that they can cull her :-(

new fencing in order too

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 20:15 »
I found this after a quick google search. I hope it helps.

Orchardlady.

Maggots within a wound are typically not a major danger (and in fact sometimes a good thing, as they seem to confine themselves to consuming only necrotic tissue). This gives you time to assess the situation and choose an effective, safe approach.
Ideally, flushing maggots from the wound with sterile saline works very well. Sterile saline is pretty harmless stuff and is used to remove pretty much any foreign material from open wounds. Alternately, in the case of a very small number of individuals, you can also remove maggots from a wound with tweezers.
You most definitely don't want to use toxins to kill them. First, as you're dealing with an open wound, the toxins you use will find easy access to the patient's system. Secondly, maggots can decompose when dead, thus introducing a bacterial threat.
Bear in mind that maggots are a larval stage, and as such will not reproduce within a wound.
Note also that maggots are sometimes used clinically, especially in cases where super-sensitive debridement of necrotic tissued, especially from burns, is desirable. In this case, the maggots in question are sterilzed (both in the antiseptic and reproductive sense).
Old school paramedics will also tell you that discovering maggots in the bandaged wounds of transients and people that cannot perform good wound care, is a good sign, usually meaning that the wound will be clean and uninfected.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 22:18 »
If you don't have any sea salt to make th saline solution, eye lens fluid will probably do the trick.  If she is up and about I would not give up on her.  Good luck.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48 »
I do have some saline but she has a hole in her about 6cm across, and shes only about 4 months old.

I know it seems heartless but we only brought her for £5 a month ago she hasnt really become a pet yet (and im pretty sure she is a he!) I dont want them to suffer? My neighbour has had chickens for years so I will pop along to see what they think, as to be fair I couldnt actually do the deed!

Thanks for your support peeps.

T

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:16 »
Vets rely on a solution of salt water to clean wounds. I have seen the most horrendous looking wounds on all sorts of animals that actually look worse than they are and heal really quickly with no after affects. Do try the salt water. If you are worried about the maggots perhaps your neighbour will be prepared to help with those.

Saline solution - boiled water and any salt.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:41 »
Neighbour was great, she said its not that bad!!! Its torn the skin leaving the hole rather than taking a chunk of her flesh, so she seemed to think it was worth a try.

We have applied the aluminium spray which creates like a layer over the wound so that its not open, hopefully this will smother the maggots that are in there too, Ive put her back in her small enclosure, shes tucked up in a corner but she has been in a box all night so maybe thirsty and hungry. I cant get the other 3 hens out so she may be hiding her bad side as shes bright silver so the other hens dont see?? Im going to try and get them out in a bit. My other 2 hens (who the 4 silkies dont like) have decided to go broody I was also trying to get her off the nest as they have gone broody again and she was cackling like mad, hopefully now shes settled down. I can get the other hens out leaving Barry to rest and recover.

I will keep you all updated.

Thank you

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 21:06 »
Well I got the other 3 silkies out around 11am today, so Barry could rest alone, ive been popping to see her most of the day, shes not been as alert today. Went out around tea time and she was laying on her side, her wings just slightly flapping. A couple of seconds later she was dead :_(

Thanks for all the advice, the aluminium spray was recommended by the vet but she definately went downhill after applying that, has anybody else had experience of this spray?

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 21:43 »
 :(  So sorry she did not make it.  You did everything you could to give her a chance of recovery.  Never heard of the spray so can't comment on that. 

splash101

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 21:59 »
i think the spray must be like silver spray which has antiseptic properties. My friend was given it for a wound on her arm following an operation.

Cant say whether it the spray would have affected the chicken. Maybe the infection was already in her system before the spray was applied or maybe it was shock.

Sorry to hear she didnt pull through.

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 22:41 »
i think the spray must be like silver spray which has antiseptic properties. My friend was given it for a wound on her arm following an operation.

Cant say whether it the spray would have affected the chicken. Maybe the infection was already in her system before the spray was applied or maybe it was shock.

Sorry to hear she didnt pull through.

Think it may have been this splash101.

www.vetoquinol.co.uk/downloadable/FarmerGuideWound.pdf

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:58 »
Thanks guys, thats the exact spray ANHBUC.

xx
new mom hen being attacked by 'sisters' - advice?

Started by newchic on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 17:25
by newchic
xx
Chicken Attacked - Advice please

Started by RobH on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:04
by Sassy
xx
My hen's been attacked too

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 00:25
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.