building a raised bed

• 18 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: building a raised bed
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 13:22 »
If you're building them yourself, different shapes might be worth a thought. I'm on sloping soggy clay, and my inherited raised beds are brilliant. I am planning to put in some more this winter, and to reduce the amount of ground I lose to paths, am planning to use an E shape wherever possible, running along the plot boundary. I can then use the path between plots for weeding.

bigfatwallet

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 13:37 »
If you're building them yourself, different shapes might be worth a thought. I'm on sloping soggy clay, and my inherited raised beds are brilliant. I am planning to put in some more this winter, and to reduce the amount of ground I lose to paths, am planning to use an E shape wherever possible, running along the plot boundary. I can then use the path between plots for weeding.

Nice. I was thinking of H shapes running up the length of the allotment with roughly 0.5m between the fence line and the bed each side and 0.8m between each H. Think the E may be better in terms of coverage though although I prefer the symmetry of the H. :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 19:00 »
I'm half way I have beds but not raised just 2' paths and 4' beds couldn't be bothered with all that diy with boards it works ok for me and I dont have to walk on them. I often block plant or intercrop whic means the path area wasted is recovered by the spaced gained from no gaps between rows. Less muddy boots too and no soil compaction or digging.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 05:52 »
Sideshoot, a properly planned raised bed plot will produce the same as a traditional plot as you can grow more per square metre, which makes up for the extra pathways.  But, that really does mean properly organised, not pathways plonked everywhere. :) :)

Hi Ice,

50% cultivation is still 50% cultivation regardless of crop yield, to be honest im not bothered how other plot holders work the ground as long as there arent weed seeds blowing on my plot  ;)

But if this ruling is to be adhered to then 50% really is 50%.

question
Building a raised veg bed

Started by compoQ on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:51
by compoQ
xx
Building raised bed

Started by Remy on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 18:36
by Yabba
xx
Building Raised Beds

Started by Steven Dent on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 19:04
by Yorkie
xx
Building raised beds

Started by miajoe on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 14:43
by aelf

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.