OSB V TONGUE &GROOVE FLOORING

• 14 Replies

kopjules

OSB V TONGUE &GROOVE FLOORING
« on: June 16, 2012, 18:06 »
Hi guys need some advice, looking at buying a new shed, but there are so many to choose from, Ive got it down to two, but both sheds have different flooring, one has osb and the other is tongue and groove. Has anyone got some sound advice on which is the better one? Im looking at which one would be the stronger and last longer. Thanks in advance. :)
:-)

Kleftiwallah

Re: OSB V TONGUE &GROOVE FLOORING
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 18:09 »

No idea whet 'osb' is,  But I would suggest ditching the floor and constructing a heavyer, more sturdy one altogether.   Possibly from 4 X 2 and marine ply.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

kopjules

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 18:20 »
I googled it and its like particle board and mdf. I think the only good thing about it is that it is one whole piece, un like t & g which can creek and move when walked on. I might take up your suggestion and go for a sturdier floor with 4x2 or something similar. Cheers. Anyone else got any ideas?  :) :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 18:23 »
OSB is oriented strand board (I believe), that patchy looking stuff for those who don't know what it is aka (I believe) sterling board.

I'd like to know what you meanby tongue and groove. What sort of size board, as in width and thickness?

:)  
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

kopjules

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 18:43 »
Thats the one Argyllie, couldnt remember the proper name for it, but it does look quite rigid and strong, on the other hand the tongue and groove flooring,  I guess is like the stuff you can buy in diy stores for cladding walls etc, I have no idea what dimensions it is, but to my mind it just wouldnt be as strong and something solid.  :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 18:53 »
You can obtain tongue and groove timber in various dimensions i.e. by thickness,width, length of board depending on the application. Don't go away thinking that T&G isn't strong enough for your job..but for a shed a sheet of OSB probably is cheaper then proper T&G flooring. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 18:56 »

Major point to consider,   is O.S.B. affected by damp?   :wub:   Cheers,    Tony.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 18:58 »
I always wonder about that when I see it used for animal shelters in fields around these parts. Guess that answers the Q. ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 19:06 »
I asked OH a few weeks ago about the damp proofing properties of OSB in just one of those field shelter examples as we drove past it, but it was the weekend and he was actually not at work so he declined to give me a sensible answer!  :lol: I'm sure any of us could google it though. ;)

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 21:32 »
OSB does not like moisture, I would go for T & G or use a good marine ply as some have mentioned.

Mark
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 22:34 »
My shed has osb flooring on top of joists that are raised off the ground on breeze blocks. This gives air circulation and have no problem with dampness.
The shed was on the plot when I took it over but it is a few years old and does the job.
If you are storing anything heavy just add a couple of extra joists this will spread the weight better.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 22:42 »
When my OH doubled the size of our small brooder shed, he made the floor with pallet wood!   VERY strong.

:D :D

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31 »
Exterior OSB is treated for moisture but I never found it long term enough for flooring outside. Walls and roofs are fine but I'd pass on it for flooring. I'd go with the T&G. You always know where you are with solid wood.

kopjules

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 23:58 »
Thanks for all your advice, it seems 50 / 50. So I guess that if I go for OSB  I should get some sort of damp proofing. But I do believe that a good quality T and G floor would be the better option, so thats what Im going to get. Cheers everyone I knew you would all help me to make my mind up. X :)

Pete C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 20:01 »
All the sheds I've seen use OSB. Prime and gloss paint the underside, then staple heavy duty polythene to it (the type the pallets get wrapped in) The floor will still be there when the rest of the shed has rotted away.
Pete
Pete C

xx
Old Laminate Flooring

Started by mocphatvn on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2022, 09:39
by mumofstig
xx
Old Laminate Flooring

Started by Riverbecameroad on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 02:35
by Riverbecameroad
xx
Polytunnel flooring

Started by Ma Lowe on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 15:01
by archibtbm

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.