Shed roof question

• 5 Replies

prestongirl82

Shed roof question
« on: March 12, 2012, 22:17 »
Hello
After a 2yr wait my husband has made a start on my shed!
It is made from pallets that are 6ft x 3ft. At the moment it has 3 walls and a floor. We will be finishing it off this weekend.
What is best to use for the roof? My Uncle has suggested using pallets, covered with plywood and painted. My husband thinks plywood and roofing felt would be better.
The shed is about 7ft tall and getting heavy pallets onto the top will be tough going, but may be sturdier and not as easy to blow away in our northern winds.
What do you suggest? Or is there something else we could use?
We are trying to make the shed as cheaply as possible, and so far it has cost us £6.22 in screws and long nails!

Swing Swang

Re: Shed roof question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 22:35 »
If you're trying to make it as cheaply as possible then roof it with pallet wood. I'd be inclined to cut the 'planks' into sections then dip them into something that probably can't be mentioned on this site (cr£*s*t£ or even a home-made mixture of *** ****** *** and ******) or an environmentally friendly alternative (which will increase the costs) to make your own wooden shingles then use these as home-made roofing slates.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 22:40 »
Swing Swang, you know the rules about not promoting or endorsing the use of illegal and banned substances on this forum.  Asterisks don't excuse it.

The original creosote is illegal to use in the circumstances described.  It is highly carcinogenic and was banned for good reason.

PG82, I can't quite see how pallet wood alone will be waterproof, which sort of defeats the purpose of a shed.  I'd be concerned that plywood might absorb rain etc, even if treated on cut ends with acceptable preservative - hopefully others will confirm whether it is actually a problem.

To be honest, if the shed is designed to be up for a decent length of time I'd go for roofing felt from the outset.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daveylamp

• happy planter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03 »
 get some 10mm stirling board from diy shop this is for outdoor use and covered with roofing felt wil be fine worked fine on mine. also light to put up.
I'll beat this heavy clay yet. now almost there works well now

jrko

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 16:32 »
Stirling board  is also called OSB (Orientated Strand Board)  I use that and roofing felt.

May sound strange but make your roof as big as possible.  With the current water shortage issues it makes sense to have a large roof to maximise rain water collection.  As your water butt(s) have to stand somewhere they may as well be under a roof that collects more water!!

Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

lizzie1982

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 17:57 »
Thank you for your replies.
OSB and roofing felt it is.
I will post pictures when it is finished :)

xx
Best way to roof a shed

Started by JayG on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:21
by portcullis
xx
shed roof, best size ply?

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:15
by noshed
xx
New shed - roof 'windows'?

Started by plot53b on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 21:38
by plot53b
xx
Using rainwater from a new shed roof

Started by theswedelt on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 10:06
by noshed

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.