So how much is greenhouse safety glass?

• 3 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
So how much is greenhouse safety glass?
« on: February 09, 2012, 16:27 »
My greenhouse is about 18 months old now and glazed with standard horticultural glass, so I've had it long enough now to get a nice crop of green algae growing under the overlaps.  :wacko:

Having had a close encounter with some seriously nasty shards of glass when I foolishly opened the door on a windy day I thought I'd check out the price of toughened glass in 4X2 rather than 2X2 sizes (this obviously allows doing away with the overlap) and one of the few online prices I could find equates to £37 per sheet (4mm)!  :ohmy:

I know it is made from individual sheets of ordinary float glass which are then heat-treated, and that although 5 times more resistant to impact damage is very prone to shattering if stood on a rough edge (hence handling difficulties, I suppose) but even so, that's a totally unaffordable price as far as I'm concerned, even if replacing one at a time as and when necessary.

Has anyone managed to source it at less than what is around 4 times the price of horticultural glass? 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: So how much is greenhouse safety glass?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 17:57 »
JayG I brushed my GH a while ago with a broom and solution of bleach after leaving it for years with loads of algae.. It worked really well to clean it off - even in-between the overlaps....
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

savbo

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 19:22 »
personally I'd go for plastic if I decided to replace horti glass for safety reasons....

Totty

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 20:26 »
I agree with savbo.
 If its total safety you want, then perspex is the way to go. You simply will not break it while doing any day to day gardening. I reckon its a bit cheaper than your quote for toughened glass but alot more than bog standard horticultural. Ebay has loads of it.

xx
Greenhouse Glass 3 or 4mm?

Started by Wavertree Red on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:36
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse glass help

Started by pvc on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 22:57
by pvc
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by cc on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 11:19
by cc
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.