Greenhouse Glass Advice

• 8 Replies

brinylon

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« on: September 24, 2007, 22:08 »
What do people recommend - Horticultural or Polycarbonate Glass for a greenhouse - I have been told that polycarbonate fries stuff, but it is more expensive - is that because there are different types or because it breaks less easily and is safer??

Also, if anyone can recommend a cheap place to buy online, etc, I'm on a tight budget..?

muntjac

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 22:12 »
go to a double glasing place and ask for the recycled glass from windows they take out ,,, its fine for greenhouses and its about £2 a sheet .lot less than both the other alternatives ...... i have 4 houses n its all i use  :wink:
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 22:15 »
polycarb is safer but expensive - unless you have kids running around in the greenhouse use glass.

Don't buy glass online (if you can) ring round glass merchants or take Munty's good advice.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 22:18 »
also get onto freecycle in your area and ask for any greenhouses ,this is a good way of using up glass and the aluminum .i have made trestles from the spare framing as well as a cold frame  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:26 »
Polycarbonate is not glass.

It's a plastic polymer.

There - hope that's cleared that up!

Polycarbonate

I'll move this thread to the Design & Construction forum as I think it fits in better there.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

edlomatt

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 20:21 »
polycarbs also ultra strong and is used in guarding systems daily, e.g with millers and lathes etc. would be fine for a greenhouse but more expensive as you said.

brinylon

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 21:32 »
Have tried freecycle and nothing unfortunately. The idea of fitting it myself is completely scary, but I do have a wife who is 7 months pregnant, so polycarbonate would be safer. The main question is about heat - I was told that polycarbonate fries plants, and I don't have the time to sort plants out in the morning to allow for this. Is this true?

brinylon

Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 21:35 »
I would also love to say that I am handy with my hands, but the best I can say is that I have been accident free for 6 months, so making stuff is an ideal but a hazard

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Greenhouse Glass Advice
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 22:13 »
Quote from: "brinylon"
Have tried freecycle and nothing unfortunately. The idea of fitting it myself is completely scary, but I do have a wife who is 7 months pregnant, so polycarbonate would be safer. The main question is about heat - I was told that polycarbonate fries plants, and I don't have the time to sort plants out in the morning to allow for this. Is this true?

I'd have thought no more than glass.

Most of us paint our glass white, with either proprietry greenhouse whitener, or if your're like me - watered down emulsion paint!

However - don't be scared of glass, if it's made to fit - it's a doddle to do so., just wear gloves. I do understand your safety concerns in respect of your good lady, but having been there a couple of times, I think they know how far out the bump comes by instinct!

xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman
xx
greenhouse glass help

Started by pvc on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 22:57
by pvc
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by cc on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 11:19
by cc
xx
Greenhouse Glass 3 or 4mm?

Started by Wavertree Red on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:36
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 33 queries.