Muddy Chicken run!

• 6 Replies
Muddy Chicken run!
« on: August 17, 2011, 16:21 »
Hello all,

I am very new to keeping chickens (4 weeks) and I am loving this new experience. We have an enclosed chicken run which was covered in grass when the girls arrived but they have now turned it into a patch of mud! Is this ok for them? Should I be putting anything down for them? They do seem very happy but I worry about what it will be like in the winter!
Letting them free range is not an option as our garden is not secure and we have lots of foxes in the area.

JACDORE

Re: Muddy Chicken run!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 16:36 »
Hi there.  My garden is exactly the same axcept no foxes etc.  We had lovely lawns but our girls ate there side.  We also have dogs and they pee'd and killed there side and then the girls ate wat was left.  As you say in winter its a nightmare, the mud.  So we went and got some cheap (Alot of folk give away free slabs too) several slabs so most of it is roughly slabbed and they have mud on the far part.  In summer i buy them a roll of turf every now and then and also grow a section of pure grass in a sandpit which they make vanish within an hour.  Then cover it in netting etc and re-grow again until the right length.  My 6 girls have all got on just fine with no permenant grass.  What they now love loads and loads is when we play "Hunt the worms" as every now and again i lift the slabs and boy oh boy there's some juicy worms under there and its the best game they love.
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 17:29 »
Another simple solution is to put down a bd of "forest mulch" which are tree shreddings which can sometimes be bought by the tipper load for just delivery or even free from a tree surgeon business.  On top of this put a grid of rails (batons) nailed together to form duck boards.  You can use scrap trellising, the square baton grid type but watch out for nails.  Put an entrance porch roof over the door area of the run at the entrance to the house so it is kept dry and mud isn't trailed in.  A polythene sheet or a damp proof course membrain is ideal.

Paving slabs is also an option close to the house but need to be hosed clean regularly, chx do like a scratching area too.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 22:09 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 18:05 »
 Thank so much for your suggestions, we do have some spare paving and I do like the tree chipping idea so I will give both a go.

I am so pleased I found this forum as I have picked up lots of helpful advice already. Maybe I will become experienced enough one day to pass on tips too.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 20:50 »
hi, could you cover the run to prevent it getting wet? i did this and now my girls have a dry run all year, plenty of dust for their baths. I pooh pick every day and turn parts of the run over every few weeks. regards.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 22:10 »
Oh I should have also mentioned that if you use mulch let it rot down afew weeks first and don't use any with yew shreddings in.

HF

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36 »
You could buy the odd turf from the garden centre or often see odds and ends on Freecycle. The chooks would love this :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

question
Muddy Chicken Run.....HELP !

Started by sdfell on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:02
by snow white
xx
Wet and Muddy

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2014, 12:53
by joolz68
grin
wet muddy run

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 19:55
by Flowerpower136
xx
Muddy chickens!

Started by alidesmon on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 17:50
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 32 queries.