pond liner choice

• 2 Replies

savbo

pond liner choice
« on: May 19, 2010, 18:33 »
Hi all

We're planning on making a bigger pond on the allotment, a triangle 2.4m approx onthe two short sides.

I've made many ponds in the past when butyl was pretty much the only quality option. But looking around now I'm a bit confused by the claims made for PVC, EDPM and LDPE.

As a triangle with shelves I'll need to be able to fold and tuck the liner easily. I don't really want to spend a lot as I can't see us being on the plot to test a 40year guarantee.... but I don't want to waste time laying a liner that doesn't last a good 5-10 years. We're looking at a 4x4m or 4x3m liner so the prices go from about £30 for a triple layer LDPE, £80 for EDPM or £120 for butyl...

What do people think?

savbo

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: pond liner choice
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 19:59 »
I bought EDPM for my pond as I thought it was probably the best compromise; 6 years on it's still going strong and has suffered no punctures, but that may be partly because I am super-careful about doing anything that might lead to damage, especially at the bottom of the pond where debris and stones collect and where the effects could be fatal (to the fish!)

I'm also a bit paranoid about the effects of sunlight on the bits of exposed liner at the top of the pond which are very difficult to hide from sunlight, but so far, so good!

The liner came with a written "lifetime" guarantee, but I'm not sure whether that covers my lifetime or the liner's!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

portcullis

Re: pond liner choice
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:34 »
EPDM is the way to go.It is used widely for flat roofing so the suns UV wouldn't be an issue.It comes in different thicknesses.Try Plytech uk.This company is based in Southampton but does ship.

xx
Pond liner question

Started by Caretaker on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 10:25
by Alastair-I
xx
Pond Liner folds nightmare

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 15:09
by hubballi
xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
My new pond

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

109 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 13:41
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.