shed roof, best size ply?

• 7 Replies

1jim

shed roof, best size ply?
« on: May 15, 2010, 18:26 »
Hi everyone, I have put up my shed (bought on ebay) but the roof doesnt fit :( so need to buy some wood to fit, am I right in thinking that exterior ply would be the best choice (have roof felt and underlay already) and what mm thickness would you go for?
Also someone suggested having an overhang as a shelter but I wondered if this would create a target for wind to blow up on, any thoughts?
thanks
Jim

Stree

Re: shed roof, best size ply?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 18:35 »
half inch or 12mm Elliotis ply. its the pale yellow stuff you see used for boarding up and shuttering. Screw it down, don't nail it and use short decking screws so they wont rust.
overhang should be OK if the sheets are well anchored, screws no further than 15 inches apart

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 18:36 »
I wouldnt go any thinner than 8mm, anything thinner would start to sag after a period of time.

1jim

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 19:18 »
thanks guys, whats the problem with nailing it (my cordless drill/screwdriver is not that powerful so may struggle to do the job)-- another silly question but would you felt it after putting in place?

1jim

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 15:59 »
Have just discovered that this is going to be very costly, the shed is just over 5 x 5foot and it appears that you can only get 4 foot wide boards. To use ply I would need to buy 2 sheets and get cut down to size, this is going to be around £40+
Are there any alternatives to this, had a thought about using planks of wood but that might be expensive as well and might be too heavy.
Any thoughts on how to make this roof the cheapest possible way?
thanks
Jim

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 16:35 »
Any thoughts on how to make this roof the cheapest possible way?

Cheap and properly are normally mutually exclusive. Shuttering comes in standard 8x4 sheets OSB is normally cheaper (at least it is here). Why do you need 2 sheets ?

Cut 1 piece at 5x4 and you'll have a 3x4 piece to patch the 1ft gap - you're covering with felt so it really doesn't need to be 1 piece.

1jim

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35 »
thanks Lardman, thats the kind of useful advice I need. I have mapped out how to do it now and can get the size needed but will need 3 bits. I think Id become blinkered and trying to get it done in one or 2 bits. As you say it will be felted so wont matter anyway. Thanks again :D

noshed

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 15:15 »
Don't forget a gutter for the rainwater - it might be worth incorporating a batten so the gutter is easier to fix on.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Best way to roof a shed

Started by JayG on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:21
by portcullis
xx
Grow veg on shed roof

Started by Novice1970 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 10:41
by Novice1970
xx
Shed roof question

Started by prestongirl82 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 17:57
by lizzie1982
xx
Using rainwater from a new shed roof

Started by theswedelt on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 10:06
by noshed

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.