Small wind turbine

• 23 Replies

digalotty

Small wind turbine
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 20:48 »
please keep us posted if anything or anyone makes a system that works, then maybe a moderator could post it as a sticky :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Small wind turbine
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 20:51 »
I've been thinking about this very thing too but am not mechanical or engineeringly minded.  fortunately for me, my OH is and I've set him the task of looking into it :)

I've been looking at 12v or less accessories, eg a 12v heater to heat the greenhouse for a time, but the problem is you need enough energy to replenish whatever storage battery is being used

... I think  :D

poultrygeist

Small wind turbine
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 21:15 »
The problem is that most electrical items like heaters and motors require a lot of electrical power (relatively).
Electrical power (watts) = volts x current (amps)

At 240v, if you have 1kw (1000w) then you only need to draw just over 4 Amps.

At 12v you have 1/20th the voltage so you need 20 times the current to reach the same power output.
ie. 1000w = 12v x 83Amps  :shock:
That would drain a battery pretty quick and would take a lot of charging to get back to full capacity.

Ad the bigger the current, the bigger the cable diameter you need. At 4Amps a 1mm squared is more than you need,

For 83Amps you need something like 25mm squared and then you get losses that lower the power.

I'm speakign from a very amateur viewpoint but that's the basic difficulties as I see it.
 :)
Rob 8)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Small wind turbine
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 21:20 »

poultrygeist

Small wind turbine
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 21:22 »
That's the simple version  :shock:

I have no electrical qualifications. Just did it at physics O level, engineering HNC and picked up bits along the way.

Now ask an electrical engineer for the details !!  :lol:

You'll hang yourself half way through.  :x

Rob 8)

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Small wind turbine
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 21:53 »
As well as the wind turbine digalotty there would have to a couple of pieces of equipment. for example the turbine itself would have to have a blocking diode. the turbine would then feed into a voltage regulator of sorts that would allow charging to a set of batteries and be able to use them at the same time.
You could add an invertor so that you can use low power electric items.
Not sure how a the caravan system works that you mention but I just might have to take a look into it.
One of the biggest problems that I might have is that the turbine would have a 4 foot diameter and our allotment officer might have something to say about it, lol.

Andy
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

digalotty

Small wind turbine
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 00:02 »
you may need other components as i said im not familier with turbines,  :?  surely if you have a 12v system you wont need a inverter as when the power goes through the charger this will controll the power output to the battery.please forgive me for asking but im not sure why the turbine would need to be four ft. you can get them mutch smller on houses.

hope you dont mind me asking these questions as im not a sparky or engineer :oops:  :lol:  :lol:

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Small wind turbine
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 00:37 »
Quote from: "digalotty"
surely if you have a 12v system you wont need a inverter as when the power goes through the charger this will controll the power output to the battery

You are correct the power goes into the regular which feeds the batteries. You don't need an invertor. This would just be an extra to run electric appliances from the batterys.

not sure why the turbine would need to be four ft. you can get them mutch smller on houses.

My intention is to use a Treadmill motor. These operate at about 90 volt and have an rpm of about 5000. Used as a generator, blades at about 4' will rotate at around 400rpm in a 10/15mph wind. At this speed it should generate about 12v.  Small blades will need more wind to operate.
The figures used here are only rough but illustrate why the need for a 4' turbine.  In reallity 4 foot is small for a turbine. If you were to measure the ones that you see on house the will be a least that if not bigger. just look small because you are at ground level.

digalotty

Small wind turbine
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 18:03 »
hindy123   good luck with your project,youve researched it well by the sound of it,  free leccy cant be bad. :lol:

xx
Turbine-less wind generator:

Started by Man-K on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 12:53
by peter james
xx
Wind Turbine Parts

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 23:08
by moz
xx
polytunnels and wind

Started by jondav on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:08
by jonnyingleton
xx
wind protection

Started by Flump on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 18:50
by kopjules

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.