Rat Help

• 15 Replies

Ema

Rat Help
« on: July 28, 2022, 22:10 »
We are having a problem with rats this year they have been eating Khol rabi (under nets), beetroot (under nets) baby cucumbers and even cucumber plants - I think they are doing this because of the lack of water around.

We do have 3 chickens and there treadle feeder is put away each evening and their water emptied.

We’ve had bait stations set up and traps for a few weeks but they are not going for any of this.

We have green tomatoes and winter squashes coming but still very immature so would like to get on top of the situation before they are attractive.

Very tempted to give up on the veg garden at the moment so disheartened. Any tips or tricks would be really appreciated.
0E0F5E9F-DEC9-4F9B-8467-1B25644A7487.jpeg
B6E9598C-D0F6-4CC4-9613-91F1CBCFEDB3.jpeg
FEA780CE-11CD-4D56-9315-FDC671C3F758.jpeg
DE2CC897-87DC-4D21-BCBA-3607FA4B7C80.jpeg
D9BB1C24-0ADE-4307-9DAA-99D62F9849E8.jpeg
9703AB90-CF3D-4930-92FC-0EC709400E51.jpeg

Ema

Re: Rat Help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 22:12 »
 >:( :mad: Oh and they ate all the heritage peas I was saving for next years seeds!

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 08:37 »
Personally I would put down water for them if this is what they are looking for.  You will never eliminate rats on an allotment site, so we have to learn to live with them.  Give them what they need and they'll likely leave your crops alone.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 17:14 »
What are you baiting with? I bought some plastic traps with bait blocks and ‘pasta’ bait which seems to have worked here against whatever was munching my beetroot last year. My problem was having a large covered compost heap which gave ideal nesting conditions alongside a big pile of moss scarified from several lawns.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 17:51 »
They are in our garden rather than allotment, we are only 4 houses and then fields. We’ve had some block style bait and also peanut butter in traps.
I’ll try the pasta bait thanks for the recommendation.

Ema

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 08:08 »
So I checked on the new bait yesterday and they haven’t taken it  >:(
They’ve nibbled on few of the winter squashes over night.
I’m going to try cheese in the splat traps instead of peanut butter.
Genuinely considering adopting a barn cat…

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:07 »
Interesting comment to put out water I’m just back from a week away and noticed that the tops of my beetroot have been nibbled. We have a rabbit problem on our plot but it makes me wonder if it’s just some moisture they need rather than the plant itself. Still very dry and more to come!
Keep digging

Ema

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 10:08 »
Yes but as I know it’s rats I don’t want a population explosion

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 10:15 »
Good morning fellow rat sufferers.  "PESTEQ" Rat & mouse killer.  We got it off the South American river and it works, not instantly, but it works. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Tonnyy

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 23:54 »
I remember that my parents used to set rat traps in the garden all the time, but they weren't always effective. However, now the times have waned, and you need to experiment with how to get rid of rats. I have not come to terms with the fact that you need to coexist peacefully with them. Sometimes my dog ​​catches them, thanks to her. I'm thinking of trying to poison the water they can drink with it, so that they spread the infection among their relatives. The main thing is that this does not affect the vegetables in the garden ... In any case, there is no need to despair!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 15:28 by Tonnyy »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 11:12 »
I remember that my parents used to set rat traps in the garden all the time, but they weren't always effective. However, now the times have waned, and you need to experiment with how to get rid of rats. I have not come to terms with the fact that you need to coexist peacefully with them. Sometimes my dog ​​catches them, thanks to her. I'm thinking of trying to poison the water they can drink with it, so that they spread the infection among their relatives. The main thing is that this does not affect the vegetables in the garden ... In any case, there is no need to despair!

I think poisoning the water supply they can get at could also poison your dog.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 18:35 »
we had a rat problem last year and we found out they where eating next doors bird food fat balls and seed the  then they where coming in to our wood store  I seen some  in the poly tunnel so out come the traps and they took the bait but no rats in the traps so what to do my mate said put some Mars bar on the trap something there going to pull and it worked I hate the darn things we had some down the allotments but they where food for something because I only found the rats tails

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 22:57 »
I hear butter or the old trans fat margarine works well on the traps if not a jack Russell

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 14:35 »
So I checked on the new bait yesterday and they haven’t taken it  >:(
They’ve nibbled on few of the winter squashes over night.
I’m going to try cheese in the splat traps instead of peanut butter.
Genuinely considering adopting a barn cat…

We thought had a rat in our roof. An experienced rat man told us to put plain chocolate in the area. He said that if it wasnt nibbled the rat had certainly moved on as they cant resist plain chocolate. Might be worth a try.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 15:01 »
I was told to melt dark chocolate onto the traps if it’s a snap trap as they have to gnaw at it melted on.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 51 queries.