Securing a small polytunnel?

• 5 Replies

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
Securing a small polytunnel?
« on: January 24, 2021, 17:52 »
I have been given a small (8ft x 6ft) polytunnel. It is only a lightweight thing, and I am sure it will get blown away with the first gust of wind unless it is secured. I have a few ideas of my own, but what do you guys do to keep these things grounded?

Ralph.
I need more space...

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Securing a small polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:46 »
I knocked sections of scaffold pole into the ground and wired them to the frame.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 16:42 »
we to have a small green polytunnel to put up on the plot this year  having bought it 2 years ago its been in the shed gathering dust so  I've had orders to put it up on plot this year there are several green polytunnels been put up down the allotments and there been fixed on a wooden frame so they can anchor the tunnel to the frame and they seem to have stood up to the windy weather without any probs

I'm going to put a strong net over ours just be  to on the safe side maybe a bit over the top  :dry:

Welsh Merf

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 18:56 »
A fellow allotment person suggested I buy a a three-bay (6 metre) polytunnel like he'd just bought and installed, because it was only a £120, and worth every penny.

Our allotment is on the Romney Marshes of Kent. A small hurricane is merely a slight draught around here. The said polytunnel wasn't there two weeks later, and I know that he'd planted it a foot into the ground, pegged it, and laid slabs inside and out, just to make sure.

The "make sure" bit didn't happen. Failed miserably. However, we do have a large polytunnel on site, that has individual plots inside that you can rent. This has been up for well over a decade, and is completely intact. I reckon it depends where you are, how sheltered it is, and how much you're willing to pay.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 19:24 »
I had a polytunnel which the wind eventually wrecked, frame and all. Then I got an old greenhouse frame, which I thought would make a stronger support/structure but the wind last summer wrecked the cover on that as well.

So all in all, unless you are on a sheltered site, unlike mine or Welsh Merf's - then a cheap e bay-type polytunnel, just isn't worth buying. The more expensive, reputable company, ones do stand up to the weather - just depends if you can afford one/think it's worth the outlay for what is to most of us, just a hobby.

The bunny

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:34 »
Hello  I have been recently given one as a gift 12x6 for my allotment. Its a windy-site so I found a blacksmith to make steel hooks 12 inches long with a hook  part which was half again. 10 of these were hammered into the ground over the frame base. Its not the frame which will blow away but the cover. Do make sure wind cannot get under or inside the greenhouse. Manufacturers suggest burying the bottom plastic in the soil if this is an option.

xx
securing a greenhouse

Started by Snap Dragon on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 20:24
by Selkie
xx
Securing polycarbonate

Started by frimleyrose on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 20:06
by frimleyrose
xx
Better way of securing polycarbonate panels?

Started by al78 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 13:29
by grinling
xx
Securing our shed to terra firma!

Started by signalnorth on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:36
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 45 queries.